Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I always knew that it was a matter of "when" not "if" I was going to have accident. First off I am completely fine except for a few aching muscles. It happend last night about 2 miles from my house. Typical nice evening out about 8:00pm so it was not dark yet and I deciede to go in to Wastown and rent a movie. On my return trip I was leaving town in a 45mph zone and oncoming traffic was still in the 55mph zone. There was a Big Black Dodge Ram coming towards me, then out of the blue he starts to come into my lane, I was thinking Holy F*&k hes going to hit me head on. I get on the barnys pretty friggin hard. Hes not just turning in front of me hes also coming straight at me as he turns. It was like slow motion, the next thing I saw was the side of this Big Black Dodge Ram getting closer at a very alarming rate. Then BAM!!! I plowed the side of the truck just in front of the rear wheel. I went over the bars hit the side of the truck and then to the pavement. I had all of my gear on. I got one little strawberry on my elbow and knee from the fabric of my gear rubbing my skin. He continued to pull in his driveway. I jumped up and yelled I'm ok. There was two people behind me that stopped and said they saw the whole thing. He was very apologetic and said he was also a rider (Harley) and he couldn't believe he didn't see me. I was thinking the same thing, with my brights on I don't know how he could have missed me. So all you guys where your gear and ride safe. BTW I have been riding on the street for 6 years and this my first accident.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Gear is good.
Plastic can be replaced.
Glad you're OK and I hope you get that shiny red SV rolling again soon.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well, at least he didnt pull the whole "Its your fault I didnt see you" attitude you get from non-riders. Glad to hear you're okay.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
well atleast it ins't to bad, and you are okay. Hope your back up soon.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Did you go to the emergency room? If not GO NOW and get checked out. Report any aches, pains, anything that you have and believe to be accident related. Don't try to take advantage of the situation or anything but if you hit the back of a truck any appreciable speed you might actually have neck or back injuries that you won't notice for a few days. If you don't go get checked out then if you do discover that you have some injury his insurance is going to protest it because you didn't seek care immediately. My wife has been screwed by an insurance company on a deal very similiar to this. In a wreck, didn't see medical attention even though her neck hurt. Insurance company weasled their way out because of the fact she didn't immediately seek medical attention. Now she has a messed up neck, we have to pay for all of the medical care out of pocket. Hate to sound like a lawyer but it never hurts to cover all the bases in a case like this. OH.. and Don't talk to ANYONE from his insurance company about your physical condition. They may seem helpful and sympathetic but all they are doing it trying to get the company off as cheaply as possible using your own words to do it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
soundman said:
Did you go to the emergency room? If not GO NOW and get checked out. Report any aches, pains, anything that you have and believe to be accident related. Don't try to take advantage of the situation or anything but if you hit the back of a truck any appreciable speed you might actually have neck or back injuries that you won't notice for a few days. If you don't go get checked out then if you do discover that you have some injury his insurance is going to protest it because you didn't seek care immediately. My wife has been screwed by an insurance company on a deal very similiar to this. In a wreck, didn't see medical attention even though her neck hurt. Insurance company weasled their way out because of the fact she didn't immediately seek medical attention. Now she has a messed up neck, we have to pay for all of the medical care out of pocket. Hate to sound like a lawyer but it never hurts to cover all the bases in a case like this. OH.. and Don't talk to ANYONE from his insurance company about your physical condition. They may seem helpful and sympathetic but all they are doing it trying to get the company off as cheaply as possible using your own words to do it.

Thanks for the advice, I will go get checked out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Glad to hear your ok. Sounds like you were really lucky.

btw take the advice to go get checked out. You don't have to go to the ER, just make sure you see a medical professional of some sort (even your family practice), and document all your aches and pains.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I consider myself extremely lucky, and Yes I went to church this morning!! I am also getting married in 2 weeks. I know some higher power had something to do with me escaping unharmed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looks like he bought you a trackbike!
Also, good job on first wearing your gear, and second, keeping on the brakes as long as possible. I can't stand when people say they "had to lay it down" and still hit the car.

M

·
0 Posts
Congratulations on making it out. I kind of hope my first will be a lowside, perferably my own fault :oops: , but yours was quite a bit more exciting. Very glad you're still alright with no appreciable injuries.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Glad you're well, glad you geared up, glad you're going to seek medical attention.

The soon-to-be-wife is probably going to have something to say about this so best of luck working it out.

Oh, congratulations!!! I wish you two the best and hope you last a lifetime.

Back to your situation.

Did you get the names of the witnesses? Are they on a police report? Did you get a copy?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah it was his fault! He crossed over the double yellow at about 30mph into my lane swinging into his driveway leaving me no where to go. Eveyone invovled was very cooperative. The people behind me said they saw the entire incident and said he clearly turned in front of me. They gave me their names, address and telephone numbers, said If I need anything to give them a call. There was no police involved, therefore no police report. The driver of the truck admitted that he turned in front of me, said he saw me at the last second, tried to goose it to get by. Oh just you can get the whole scene, this is the straightest road around. You have a clear line of sight for about a mile in both directions from where the accident occured.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I am so glad that you are OK - it is terrible to see a red SV all hurt like that, there are so few of us with great taste out there. :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
next time, carry a handgun incase they try to Hit and Run. Makes it easier for cops to find a vehicles with gunshots in them.

Yes, it might sound immature, but here in Texas, it is a real problem.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts