Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening Gentlemen :eek:ccasion14: , I have an 06 SV650n (semi-street fighter build) and work for a Suzuki dealer in Tampa, FL and recently acquired an 05 GSX-R 600 Swing Arm. I've been wanting to do the conversion since I got the bike in June and now I can finally begin. I am aware I am going to be flamed, questioned, judged, etc...I do not care. And the best part about this project is that it is MY project and MY bike. So if we could save the flaming and negative comments and just enjoy it or don't. I would just like a good clean thread documenting the build.

So like I said:
2006 SV650N
2005 GSX-R Swing Arm
Waiting on a good deal for a rear wheel.

What is the recommended sprocket/chain setup? and I do use a sv650 front sprocket correct? Further more what rear shock should I use? Same year, same model 600 shock or a different year 1000 shock? A little help would be grateful otherwise I've got this. Thanks guys.

P.S. I do plan on following up this conversion with a gsx-r front end conversion as well.

Bike in question:

Current view of the rear:

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Well I put an 07 zx6r on my 05 SV. So far it's working great. I need some time to get a good exhaust built for it.

I imagine the exhaust will be a challenge for you.
Also where the shock mounts will be a challenge. It doesn't mount on the clutch side like the SV if I recall correctly.

I look forward to seeing how it shapes up. I just didn't like the plain look of the stock swinger.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Your not going to know the chain and sprocket size and dimension till you have the swinger in its final location. Remember hat it will probably be longer and who knows if it will be centered either. But this is the great hung about what you are doing. Also I got some spare parts if you need them. I got a spare swinger, rear caliper, bracket, master cylinder and axle for your gsxr setup and I have a damaged rear wheel that you can use for mock up too if you like. PM if interested.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I put an 07 zx6r on my 05 SV. So far it's working great. I need some time to get a good exhaust built for it.

I imagine the exhaust will be a challenge for you.
Also where the shock mounts will be a challenge. It doesn't mount on the clutch side like the SV if I recall correctly.

I look forward to seeing how it shapes up. I just didn't like the plain look of the stock swinger.
Yea I read up on yours before and that kind of lit the fire under my rear-end...I do not plan on keeping that exhaust. A guy at work is going to grab it off of me for his SV. I definitely need to compile a list of necessary parts.

ricracer16- I'll shoot you a pm shortly, would definitely like to see what we could do.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yea I read up on yours before and that kind of lit the fire under my rear-end...I do not plan on keeping that exhaust. A guy at work is going to grab it off of me for his SV. I definitely need to compile a list of necessary parts.

ricracer16- I'll shoot you a pm shortly, would definitely like to see what we could do.
No problem. For a exhaust you may have to go custom. Even if you can get some kind of simple design down I guess you can have someone just tack int in place and then bring it to someone who can tig weld the entire thing for you all pretty. Depending on where everything is when you finally mock up everything in their final positions and come to think about it, you will have to wait until the swinger, rearsets, brake caliper and line will be positioned before planning on that exhaust as well since you want to give yourself as much room to dissipate heat and make sure that nothing is important is rest on a hot exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I plan on going with a gp style exhaust much like the banner bike...It definitely helps working in the parts department over here because in my down time I can check out the m4's and even the jardine gp1's and what not. its the rest of the piping that I'll have to worry about.

I do have one major setback...this is my daily transportation so I really cannot do anything until I have everything or until I buy a truck. Both of which I am trying to do so whichever happens first. I guess I'll hold off on the chain/sprocket setup and get rear wheel.

edit: of course another setback is being distracted by new accessories catalogs filled with streetfighter goodies :)

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I had the same problem. Mine is my daily driver, my commute is 30 miles each way so it get's expensive paying for gas in my truck. I had been gathering parts and doing research, then as my tires and chain were wearing out I said to myself "as soon as those are done I'll start, no sense on doing this with new tires that won't fit the zx anyway" then on my way to work I ran over a 5" tool that went through the tire and rim. It was the perfect time to start but it was still cold and I didn't have a garage.

Anyway, start getting your parts compiled and do as much research as you can, it'll help tremendously in the long run. I'll try and help where I can. I still have my SV parts if you need rough measurements.

I found that the ZX shock is smaller in diameter than the GSXR but a little bigger than the SV. It worked perfect for me so far.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i saw the damage to your wheel when I read your thread...any help would be appreciated. one of my co-workers is hooking me up with a rear wheel with a 180. I'm supposing a 180 will be my best option because I do want a good handling bike but also with a good look

edit: oh yea and my commute is right around 30 miles and its year round down here in FL. If I still lived in New England then I'd do it all in the winter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'm thinking a dual exhaust setup...like a short gp megaphone style pointed upward on either side. of course I have to mock up the rear to see how everything is going to fit but still I have a vision and hopefully can make it work. thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I'm contemplating building an undertail system. That back exhaust is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought about going that route but as much as I like that look I'm looking to achieve a different look.

update: I have secured a FREE gsxr rear wheel with a balding 180 on it.

LS- Does the zx shock bolt right up? isnt there a thread somewhere on rear shocks?

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Yeah it bolts right up. You'll have to chop off the tool box on your rear fender, for swingarm clearance, so that won't get in the way at all.

As far as the exhaust goes. I want to do something else with mine as it blocks the nice lines on the swingarm. I'm still looking into it. I need to learn to weld!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish I could do the zx swingarm and wheel...but since I got everything for next to nothing ill keep the parts bin full of suzuki parts.

I could still use the zx shock with gsxr swingarm though? or would I be better off with a gsxr swap. I'm looking for minimal modification. so if the zx shock is easier to mount ill go with that.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Well the ZX shock will give you a little more room for your exhaust routing.

Which side does the gsxr shock mount?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly not sure...but after some research it looks like the zx10r shock is the way to go. So now I'll just have to get my hands on one..I may even throw it in before I do the conversion just for the hell of it

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I contacted nille to see if he can give me any info on the exhaust setup...i believe those were k7 gsxr 1000 akrapovic dual cans...if its not too bad and it'll clear ill just go with that setup because i love the look of it and the sound would be great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update: a friend at work hooked me up with gsx-r front AND rear wheel for $75 in good shape....doesn't get any better than that. After I have them powdercoated I will be throwing a set of 2ct's on them. This is also sets me up for the gsxr front fork conversion. As far as exhaust goes it looks like a shop that has an account with the dealer I work for would be willing to fab up the Akrapovic duals for the k7 gsxr 1k. Almost there :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts