Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what my options are. Got an 08 GSXR600 front end sittin in my garage, and black radial tokico calipers in the mail.

just need the MC, front wheel fender (optional i guess..), front wheel/rotor and clip ons to finish it off.

I've heard R1/R6 MC's could be used, as well as the various GSXR MC's, but could i use the stock SV MC? the calipers are radial, but whats the difference between a radial MC and non-radial MC?

also, has anyone taken GSXR forks and upgraded them with racetech gold valves? i've searched a dozen times and cant find much on this. Just want some feedback on a slightly upgraded GSXR fork vs a stock GSXR fork.

also, whats all this radial stuff really mean? i realize that the mounting bolts are different and location slightly different, but other than that its *mostly* the same?

·
Registered
486 Posts
The MC's are not radial. It's how the calipers are mounted (stock SV are not radial, your GSXR front end is)

Any MC from any bike will fit. Some just have different leverage and port sizes.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Radial M/C = Think of it as plunger direction is perpendicular to the bars. Standard M/C has plunger direction parallel to the bars.

·
Registered
162 Posts
After reading both posts above, does the direction of the plunger have an affect on braking performance?

I have an 07 SV1K and am in the process of putting on the 06+ GSXR 750 forks with their respective calipers. Would it be wise to change my m/c to a gsxr unit or would my SV m/c serve just fine?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Some guy's post is incorrect. Maybe he's nitpicking I don't know, but where the plunger is 90* to the bar, the mc is called a radial mc, not just for the caliper mounting. Supposedly the leverage or force applied is greater for the radial type. Not sure for street riding if the difference is significant or not. Piston diameter in the mc and matching this to the caliper piston size or swept area is more important I would think than whether you run a radial or non radial mc.

If you know the mc piston dia of the GSXR mc vs your stock, you can decide which may be more suitable. A larger dia piston will cause the lever to feel firmer, a smaller one softer with more travel. But, the firmer feel will also need more pressure to affect the same pressure at the caliper as for the softer feel. It's a matter of personal taste. I would use the SV's to start and then you can make a switch if you don't like the feel at the lever.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up a little, however would the SV M/C be capable of moving the fluid necessary for the full force of the caliper pistons on rotor that the radial m/c would deliver? Or is this in fact just a preference on lever feel?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Tagging because i'm interested if people have done this. I'm planning on using my SV MC on my conversion.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I haven't done the swap myself, so just talking through my hat, but your mc should be fine. I believe the SV piston dia. is 16mm and the GSXR may be similar or a bit larger. You're not adding pistons with the swap on your 1K. Those with experience will have to chime in, but your SV will work as far as I know. If you were moving to 6 piston calipers, then I would say that your mc would need a larger dia. piston. Those that have switched to a radial seem to like it better. Improved feel at the lever. There is more than the mc that accounts for how strong a brake system is.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
My personal advice would be to ditch the SV master. It's really junky. You wont know this until you have a better MC on your bike so you will have to trust me.

The GSXR radial masters are fine and will do a much better job of stopping and providing feedback but my personal preference would be to use the R1/R6 brembo MC from 06+.

They can usually be had in the $100 range and it is one of the better investments you can make in my opinion.

To give you an idea of comparison, on my 2012 GSXR I am removing the stock master I have and am replacing it with an R6...they are THAT much better but I am a real stickler for my brakes. I kinda like the idea of not slamming into things.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Painfully slow,

I will take your word for it and get on the hunt for an R1/R6 M/C. I was actually considering upgrading to an entire R1/R6 front brake assembly and sell the GSXR calipers. Is there a "best" year from 06+ for M/C and calipers??

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts