Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched up and down. All I want to know is, will a 03-04 gsxr 1000 shock work for a 5'11" 190lbs w/ gear rider work?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mrwoo said:
I have searched up and down.  All I want to know is, will a 03-04 gsxr 1000 shock work for a 5'11" 190lbs w/ gear rider work?
The 480# spring rate will be better for you than your stock spring, the length is about 2mm longer than your stock shock, which is fine, and the damping rates (particularly rebound damping) will be off for the SV but it will "work". Don't expecte the damping adjustments to be very effective, they'll be outside their normal range of operation on the SV, so you'll find that one end of the range has some effect and the other end will have no effect no matter how much you turn the adjuster. This can be corrected with new valve stacks in the shock so that it's matched to the damping requirements on the SV.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It will be a good shock for you but...I still think you need to get the bike checked out to make sure nothing was bent in your accident. Could save you from another one

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the bike looked at today and all is well. Only bad thing is that my left clip-on needs to be replaced, if I want to have the bar end, not fall off. ::)
Just need a cheap replacement cause I'm riding twisties couple times a week and the shock just plain sucks. Thought I read the gsxr 1000 shock is the best one to go with.

·
Registered
105 Posts
well now that you know your bike is ok...get the 1000 shock and enjoy the difference!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
well some say the some model zx636r or zx10r shocks fit but are harsh.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what shock is the best for my weight, 03 gsxr1000 or 03 gsxr750?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
im at 140 and already the 750 shock is feeling slightly softer but really it is perfect for me on the street @39shipped. 1000 shock may be better but look into the kawa shocks. some of them fit and have a higher spring rate than gsx shocks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was thinking about the 636 shock, but heard it was real stiff. Dang I can't seem to figure out what shock to get. I want to do this mod right away. ;D

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am about 185 with gear and have an 04 gixxer 1k shock on my bike with .90 racetech springs and 20wt oil....I am sure its not the optimal set up for my weight and over the winter I'll be sending the shock in to get valved properly as well as ordering emulators, however for the riding I have done so far I really havent had a problem and its definitly a good upgrade over stock

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I'm at 185lbs and 5'8" and the 04 GSXR1000 shock made a huge difference on my bike. I love it. I know that there are better options out there, but this was cheap and easy and has made a huge improvement. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I won 2 shocks on ebay a 03-04 gsxr 1000 shock and a 03-04 gsxr 750 shock. What one would wokr the best for my weight, and I also ride alot of twisties? This winter will take the chock that works the best and have it revalved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts