Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
You're looking for a simple single answer to a very complex question with many variables affecting the outcome. It doesn't matter what someone else is using for settings, they're not using your exact shock on your exact bike with your exact riding style. Read this, it's for Ducati's but it will point you in the right direction:
http://www.section8superbike.com/suspensionsetup.php

And don't discount the fact that if you can't get it to feel right, you may have a problem with the shock. It may be low on Nitrogen, old crappy oil in it, etc.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The adjusters on the shock are low-speed compression and low-speed rebound adjusters. High-speed compression damping controls the shock's response to sharp bumps (i.e. expansion joints, etc.). This is not externally adjustable, only revalving can change the high-speed compression rates. You can also get the jarring sensation from an incorrect spring, which it sounds like you have.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
Nosquid and jarelj-- What is the reasoning behind only low speed damping adjustment? Would it not be more useful to adjust high speed damping?
Yes, high-speed compression adjustments are very useful. All you need to do is buy a Penske Triple and you'll have them! :wink: The design is more complicated and therefore more costly, which is why "normal" shocks don't have them.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
jarelj-- The light bulb, once dim, is now warming up inside my dense skull

I was under the (apparently) mistaken impression that current supersport factory bikes had both low and high speed damping adjustments. Would it be accurate to say that the damping adjustment capabilites commonly available on OEM shocks are basically worthless farkles?

I'm beginning to understand the importance of both proper spring rate and preload on shock performance, as well as the reasoning behind the astronomical cost of upper tier suspension components...

p.s. Just took a short ride after completing the latest set up. Feels quite a bit better, but it was only a run to the corner store...
Yeah, it's not as simple as we all wish it could be, there are many variables when it comes to a good suspension setup. I'm not aware of any sportbike that comes with a shock having a high-speed compression adjustment. The stock Ohlins on my 749R only has a low-speed adjuster, and it has about the best stock suspension in the world. That is not true of most OEM shocks. In general OEM shocks are normally built to a price-point and are not going to offer the ultimate functionality that you could ever desire. Take that one step further and remove a marginally-effective shock from the bike it was designed for and put it on a bike with different linkage rates, weight, etc. and it should be no surprise that it works even worse than it did on the bike it came off of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts