Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time getting my '99 GSXR shock set up properly.

I don't want to hear buy brand X shock, or send it to this place and have this or that done to it. I've read everything I can get my hands on about suspension tuning and am still baffled.

If you have an unmodified GSXR shock on your 1st gen., please post up your year/model shock, weight (not necessary, but helpful), preload, compression, and rebound settings along with your opinion of the shock's performance. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nosquid-- Specifically, large bumps like expansion joints jar the piss out of the rear. Almost as if the shock is too stiff, yet I know the spring rate is less than the stock.

jarelj-- Thanks for the link. I'll read it again if it's one I've already read. Yes I had considered that the shock was toast when I scored it off ebay. Yes I understand shock performance is rider and machine/set up specific. Finding out what settings others have had success with will help me troubleshoot my problem and answer both questions...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maritan said:
Six Chin Skinny said:
Nosquid-- Specifically, large bumps like expansion joints jar the piss out of the rear. Almost as if the shock is too stiff, yet I know the spring rate is less than the stock.
That's because of damping. Most likely, too much compression damping. Try softening it a little.

I've run many combinations of compression and rebound damping and have been unhappy with all of them to this point. It always seems like the rear is getting bounced around...

How noticeable should the difference between full soft (slow) and full hard (fast) be?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NOsquid said:
Do you have the proper sag set up?

Been messing with it this afternoon. My initial results and opinions are based on 2 preload settings: 8 threads showing above collar and 2 threads showing above collar. I'm starting a new round based on 13 threads showing above the collar.

At the most recent lowest preload setting (2 threads) I had free sag of ~14 mm and total sag (me on the bike) of ~40 mm. I understand this is too little preload but am a little disturbed at the damping adjustment's lack of ability to counter-act low (soft) preload.

The shock, now based on higher preload (13 threads), is now almost topped out at rest (~2 mm free sag) with ~16 mm total sag.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nosquid and jarelj-- What is the reasoning behind only low speed damping adjustment? Would it not be more useful to adjust high speed damping?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jarelj-- The light bulb, once dim, is now warming up inside my dense skull

I was under the (apparently) mistaken impression that current supersport factory bikes had both low and high speed damping adjustments. Would it be accurate to say that the damping adjustment capabilites commonly available on OEM shocks are basically worthless farkles?

I'm beginning to understand the importance of both proper spring rate and preload on shock performance, as well as the reasoning behind the astronomical cost of upper tier suspension components...

p.s. Just took a short ride after completing the latest set up. Feels quite a bit better, but it was only a run to the corner store...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
algreen-- Thanks for the link. That is a must have bookmark/favorite for any motorcycle owner. Unfortunately, that page cannot answer the questions of a moto doofus like me... :oops:

jarelj and Nosquid-- Yeah, the preload nearly maxed out will probably be a little on the rough side. I'll find out during tomorrow's commute and post work ride; nothing I can't change on the side of the road if I get nervous. I think I finally understand that I may have been bottoming the shock out when the preload was set to minimum.

"Fully adjustable" indeed. I bit on that one hook, line and sinker.

If you haven't guessed by now, I like to (try to) figure things out, even though I'm dense. I appreciate your patience and assistance... 8)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mike said:
jarelj said:
Six Chin Skinny said:
Nosquid and jarelj-- All you need to do is buy a Penske Triple and you'll have them! .
You'll have them, but that doesn't mean you'll know which way to turn the knob.

Mike-- That is an improper quote: Nowhere do I mention anything about a Penske shock.

As for suspension tuning, I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

As for knobs, guess I'll leave that to the experts...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts