Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly how much are you guys taking off the caliper mount? Are you trimming just the mount down, or the spacer that the mount bolts to too? It looks to me like getting the caliper to mount would make the actual mount paper thin (not to mention that the way the caliper sits only uses 3/4's of the rotor)... Am I missing something?

Other than that it seems pretty straightforward (other than machining down the sprocket mount if you wanna do that).

thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doesn't that leave the hanger with only a 4 or 5mm thickness though, and don't you find that a bit worrying? Oh, and two other questions: Did you machine down the sprocket carrier to gain those extra few mm's, or did you just leave it a bit offset. And, how much larger is the SV's rear rotor? 20mm's?

thanks a ton for the info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh, well with the old model hangers and rotors you have to deal with a different hanger (not GSXR) and an SV rotor (not GSXR and therfore slightly larger diameter) which means you have almost no material left when you machine down the hanger, and you either have to get an early SV rotor to make up the difference in rotor size (from what I've heard) or a GSXR hanger to provide more material inboard to work with.

I guess the answer is to use a GSXR/02+SV rotor with a GSXR hanger (which has a little more material on the inside). And then flip the front sprocket around (the GSXR 750 rear definitely doesn't line up perfectly with the 99 front sprocket). Or, maybe that bandit rear is a 5.0?

Problems, problems, problems... And an F3 rear would have been so simple...

Maybe the best option is just to weld part of a spacer to the caliper mount if it gets too thin, rather than having the captive spacer come all the way out to meet the caliper mount, eh? Off to that then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check his stuff out when I bring over the triple (assuming he's with you guys again). However, it'd be nice if it was already on the bike by sears.

I'd normally harrass you about how exactly you got the wheel on, Z, but seeing as you usually get paid to do that, I'll leave it be.

thanks for the heads up.

T

·
0 Posts
he is never pitted with us.Evan,not Everet.
I did cut cush and wheel by 7mm and made caliper hanger.it is no secret :),I tell you what I did.will not do it again anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, after emailing Ev, I figured that one out.

So, why won't you be doing it again? I'm up against the same problem (welding stuff onto the mount to reinforce it), and if you've got any downsides to using the 180 rear with the sv/gsxr caliper/hanger/carrier etc, I'd love to know it.

thanks for the info Zoran.

T

·
0 Posts
I dont feel like ;D
I will tell you what to do if you want to,just ask when you see me.
I have 5.5 inch rim and can run 165 or 180.tire is not problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
problem is, I need it on the bike for the Sears race, which is the next time I'll see you... Well, hopefully Julian will have some solution by tonight.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well, I just got my 180 tire mounted on my F3 wheel and it looks a little....let say tight....I don't think that a 5" wheel should really have a 180 tire on it, but I'm going to give it a try. It'll be mounted tomorrow and I'll be doing a write-up on the install. is a 180 really toooo wide for a 5" before I go out and kill myself?

·
Registered
606 Posts
RedAggie03 said:
Well, I just got my 180 tire mounted on my F3 wheel and it looks a little....let say tight....I don't think that a 5" wheel should really have a 180 tire on it, but I'm going to give it a try.   It'll be mounted tomorrow and I'll be doing a write-up on the install.  is a 180 really toooo wide for a 5" before I go out and kill myself?
No it is okay, it should be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts