Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 433 Posts

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you guys have seen my SV650 with the GSXR wheels, both front and back...

...I decided to make a pictorial to show how things work together.​

Basically, I really enjoy riding my SV650 like it was a V-Twin lightweight superbike... I wanted to go with a wider tire set up for performance purposes. All late model 600cc super sports use a 120/70R17 front tire and a 180/55R17 rear tire. And there are many good reasons why every manufacturer uses this specific tire set up... But to make it simple, it's because it works best!!!​

Originally I went with a 2005 Bandit GSF1200S rear wheel... Mainly, because it was easier.... A lot of people have done it before... with old GSXR750 and GSXR1100... The RF900 also uses the same rear wheel as the Bandit GSF1200S!!! However this is a heavy wheel.​

I started playing with the idea of a much lighter 2006-2007 GSXR 600 or GSXR750 rear wheel back in July of 2008 after seeing SPIERINGS' 2003 SV650 with that set up. unfortunately SPIERINGS did not know how was it possible to make it work. Also SPIERINGS' GSXR rear wheel had been machined... I did not like that idea much... Shortly, after I picked up a 2007 GSXR750 on EBAY and started to measure all parts and compare them to my Bandit GSF1200S set up.​

I figure that the GSXR rear wheel did not needed to be machined... No new wheel bearings were needed. Only a few parts needed to be machined to make the set up work... After making several sketches and measuring everything some 50 times. I order from a local machine shop a set of spacers and machined some parts. Well it did not work the first time but I did found out where the problems were... Back to EBAY to get parts and a new set of spacer where ordered and new dimensions on the GSXR and my SV components.​

I got the parts a few weeks later... Everything assembled smoothly and the installation was easy... First time on the street, I try everything nice and easy... I try it out around town and on the highway at speed... I run it down my favorite back roads and canyon rides... Everything was working well so I sing on for a Tack Day event... The bike responded very wheel to the upgrade. Nothing rubs anywhere. The wheel is centered and the chain aligns good.​

Latter I fund out that the complete GSXR 5.50" inch rear wheel assembly is almost 5 pounds lighter than the stock SV650 4.50" inch rear wheel... I just could not believe it!!!​

But it does make sence... The SV650 is not a super sport motorcycle... It is more a sport touring motorcycle... It also a budget bike... And it does not see performance and competitive type components.. Think about it the only difference between 1st Generation and 2nd generation SV650 wheels was the change of bearings to accommodate a change on axle size... The casting on the SV650 wheels has not changed since 1999...​

I also found out that the 2008 - 2009 GSXR600 and GSXR750 also use the exact same hub desing... However the wheels have curved spokes and are supposedly even lighter...
I have a set of those on order right now...​

OK now to the pictures....

This picture shows the black hard anodized, aerospace aluminum alloy 6061 spacers... Along with the machined SV650 rear brake caliper and the GSXR Sprocket carrier and sprocket carrier inner spacer.​

This picture shows the machined SV650 rear caliper hanger and the Right side spacer on the SV axle...​

This picture shows the machined GSXR sprocket carrier inner spacer over the Left side spacer on the SV axle...​

And here is the GSXR sprocket carrier over the GSXR sprocket carrier inner spacer over the Left side spacer on the SV axle...​

The machined GSXR sprocket carrier inner spacer goes inside the machined GSXR sprocket carrier...​

And here it is with the GSXR wheel in place....​

Now, Some one requested to see if it was possible to install the set up on a 1st Generation SV650... Well back to the drawing board again....Now I have a better understanding of how it works it was a little easier...​

It works!!! With slight changes to the original spacers... The kit works!!!​

Luis T. - Ebay: SVXR650 - [email protected] - Cell 602 980 5707

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nice.

Really good write up. You mentioned the sprocket carrier was machined....by how much? Was it on the cush side or the sprocket side?

You going to make the spacers available/for sale?

Edit: one more thing, I noticed the spacers on the SV axle appear to be the only thing making contact with the gsxr wheel bearing....is this safe or am I missing something here?

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice.

Really good write up. You mentioned the sprocket carrier was machined....by how much? Was it on the cush side or the sprocket side?

You going to make the spacers available/for sale?

Edit: one more thing, I noticed the spacers on the SV axle appear to be the only thing making contact with the gsxr wheel bearing....is this safe or am I missing something here?
Thanks...

Yes! ...They are available on EBAY: Search "sv650 wheels"

And No you are not missing anything... The SV650 axle is stationary... So are the stock spacers... These spacers close the gap of the SV650 17mm axle on 1st generation and, 20mm axle on 2nd generation to the GSXR 28mm axle. When the SV650 axle is torqued down to SV650 specs, the spacers form a solid unit with the bearing races... it is perfectly safe... they way it was desing to work by true engineers...

Luis

·
Registered
381 Posts
So the captive spacers do not move on the axle at all once the rear axle is tq'ed down, correct?

Essentially the captive spacers artificially make the SV rear axle the same dia. as the GSXR rear axle at the bearings?

Also, I think it would probably help sales in the long run if you start off by having one set machined ready to ship. Charge a deposit that is refundable upon receipt of the buyer's original parts (in usable condition) that needs machining. This helps in 2 part. First, it keeps the product cycle moving without a huge overhead. Second, it will allow buyers to receive the parts without having to wait for the shipping to you, machining, and the shipping back which can take up to 3 weeks.

Just tossing out my .02 that's worth +/-.01 :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you start a process like WCJ is suggesting I'm down for a set. Just can't see putting the bike down for that time period this time of year. Great write up...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nice Writeup. If I wasn't doing the SV to GSXR motorcycle swap, I would consider the wheel swap.

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you start a process like WCJ is suggesting I'm down for a set. Just can't see putting the bike down for that time period this time of year. Great write up...
I am working on that... I do have the SV650 Caliper hangers... So your bike would not have to be down.

I am looking to get some GSXR sprocket carriers too, However I can not seem to get the sprocket carrier inner spacers.

Luis

great write up. Did you convert the chain to a different size than the stock SV?
I did... I went with a 520 RK XW Ring Chain and a Vortex black hard anodized aluminum sprocket.

I am also looking to get some lightened SV650 and GSXR rear brake rotors.

Luis

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
nice write luis

·
Registered
799 Posts
what is clearance between this two spacers? difference between ID of stock spacer and OD of black one? is it press fit or plenty clearance?

This picture shows the machined GSXR sprocket carrier inner spacer over the Left side spacer on the SV axle...​

·
Registered
140 Posts
Where was this like 2 months ago before I ordered a set of BT-016's and Pilot Races in 160? I fully expect doing this but not before I beat my tires. Expect an order from me in the fall. Almost did the F3 rear swap but this looks way better, matches the wheel on my gsxr front, and doesn't pinch the 180.

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what is clearance between this two spacers? difference between ID of stock spacer and OD of black one? is it press fit or plenty clearance?
It will slide by hand... Clearance is about 0.08 mm so divide that by two...

I lubricate it all a little... But, you have to get it in straight... Luis.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So if I have a 05 sv650s is there another bike that I could just swap with mine without having to fabracate I would like a wider tire as wide as I can get with out any problems.

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Firstly, nice write up. Comprehensive and provides good details.

Secondly, I dont know if Spierings 'didnt know' as much as maybe he outsourced the project to his machinist and didnt need to have specs to email out to everyone. I have read his write ups and he is a pretty helpful member from my experience. IMO the way you single him out reads a bit negative. JMO

Lastly, is your driveline straight? It could be the pic angle, or the combination of pic angle and that chainguard on there obscuring it, but it doesnt look alighned. Can you confirm or show a different pic without the chainguard?

Cheers

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you!!!

I did not mean to be negative about SPIERINGS, he has very helpful and has answered all my questions... And like you guessed it, he did out-sourced the project!!!

I have improved the set up... My set up does NOT require machining of the GSXR rear wheel... And my spacers do NOT need to be press on the bearings... You can get any other GSXR rear wheel and run it with the kit...

As far as the wheel alignment question...

I have received a lot of PM's and E-Mails regarding the set up that I figure a pictorial would be helpful to those who can NOT picture the set up in their heads...

The pictures with the silver swing were taken on a bench... Swing arm is off the frame...

Now the pictures taken of the 2006 SV650 you will notice that the exhaust is off the bike... The rear caliper is off to the side... The axle is not even hand thigh... An you guess it, the wheel is not aligned and the chain does not have proper slack... (Pictures were taken at 11:00PM and I had to be at work 90+ miles from home by 7:00AM the next day)

Now, Let me assure you... I have re-measure everything twice and have double checked everything again... Chain alignment is very important... If the chain does not align, the set up would not work... I used a wheel alignment tool... And I used a laser chain alignment tool several times... And the chain aligns within the chain specs. The set up works!!!

Luis

Firstly, nice write up. Comprehensive and provides good details.

Secondly, I dont know if Spierings 'didnt know' as much as maybe he outsourced the project to his machinist and didnt need to have specs to email out to everyone. I have read his write ups and he is a pretty helpful member from my experience. IMO the way you single him out reads a bit negative. JMO

Lastly, is your driveline straight? It could be the pic angle, or the combination of pic angle and that chainguard on there obscuring it, but it doesnt look alighned. Can you confirm or show a different pic without the chainguard?

Cheers

Without fabracate only the SV650 wheel wll fit right... You need to fabracate to make other wheels work... LOL Luis

So if I have a 05 sv650s is there another bike that I could just swap with mine without having to fabracate I would like a wider tire as wide as I can get with out any problems.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Luis,

I have a few questions for you.

#1 Does machining the caliper hanger cause any problems? It seems like the little bar that the slot slides on may interfere with the hanger. Or do you machine the hanger as well?

#2 How much are you taking off of the sprocket carrier? at one point you said I had to run a 520 sprocket.

#3 Are you machining the spacer in between the sprocket carrier and wheel? Doesn't it need to get shorter if you are bringing the sprocket closer to the wheel?

1 - 20 of 433 Posts