Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Luis GSXR rear wheel kit from a member and am having troubles getting everything mounted. I believe I have all the parts, 06 GSXR wheel with machined sprocket carrier, machined caliper hanger, sv rotor, and the 3 spacers. Problem is when I tighten the axle the tabs on the caliper that keep the pads in place touch the face of the rotor. It also appears that the wheel is far to the right, but this could just be an illusion due to the way the swingarm is asymmetrical. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Ive had no problem with it. Op i would do some research. I havnt heard of anyone doing the swap with his kit on a first gen(im guessing thats what you have because your caliper is under the swing arm).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive had no problem with it. Op i would do some research. I havnt heard of anyone doing the swap with his kit on a first gen(im guessing thats what you have because your caliper is under the swing arm).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App
Yep it's first gen, I was told it was taken off another 1st gen so i assumed it would fit. I've looked at a lot of the threads regarding these parts and havent found anything stating the same issue. I think I am just going to grind a little off the caliper hanger.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've got a Luis gen 1 kit from way back on the to be finished street bike to be - don't have that issue - make sure you have the spcaers in right before you go grinding anything

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi,

im new to this forum. im reserching swaps for a 1G naked SV. im looking to make it into a well handling bike for the track.

My Q is why a GSXR wheel on a SV650? is it to accomodate a wider tire, looks? what parts are need to do this on a 1G bike and what kinda of rear shock are you running?

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Hi,

im new to this forum. im reserching swaps for a 1G naked SV. im looking to make it into a well handling bike for the track.

My Q is why a GSXR wheel on a SV650? is it to accomodate a wider tire, looks? what parts are need to do this on a 1G bike and what kinda of rear shock are you running?
There are 2 main reasons most people convert to the GSXR rear wheel.

1. Some just do it for the look of the bigger tire.

2. Some do it for the larger tire which gives a larger contact patch in corners, this has been debated many times if it is an advantage over the skinnier 160 tire that turns easier.

For me looks was part of the reason, since I did a GSXR front conversion and I got both wheels for a good deal and wanted them to match. 180 tires are also easier to find for a good price since they are more common. With the changes I made to the front and rear suspension, i didn't notice any lose of turn in with the wider tire.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ended up getting the TWF parts and everything is good now.

Hi,

I had two reasons.

Much better tire selection for a 5.5" rim.

GSXR wheel is lighter than stock wheel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts