Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's pretty obvious that a stiffer spring is needed for the riders who have done a SRAD shock swap. To crank in the amount of preload you need i'm sure the height advantage of the swap is lost. But what spring stiffness is needed?

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
So it's pretty obvious that a stiffer spring is needed for the riders who have done a SRAD shock swap. To crank in the amount of preload you need i'm sure the height advantage of the swap is lost. But what spring stiffness is needed?
The SRAD 750 shocks are too long, and waaaaaay too soft. You can't just throw a stiffer spring on there, there's not enough rebound damping. You could have it resprung and revalved, but by then you've spend a significant percentage of what a Penske shock costs, and you still have a crap OEM shock.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The SRAD 750 shocks are too long, and waaaaaay too soft. You can't just throw a stiffer spring on there, there's not enough rebound damping. You could have it resprung and revalved, but by then you've spend a significant percentage of what a Penske shock costs, and you still have a crap OEM shock.
I may have a crap shock, but its a little better than a stock SV shock. But I'll have to take your word for it. Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
buy a used penske/ohlins/whatever for your weight or buy a new penske/ohlins/whatever. you will simply sink tons of money into that srad shock and it will never perform half as well. i found a used ohlins for 325 with my correct spring size. seek and yee shall find.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Keep an eye out for Fox twin clickers too. It may not be a Penske, but its adjustability accommodates a stiffer spring better than a nonadjustable shock. I've seen a very nice one sell recently for less than $200 which is a hell of a deal if you ask me. The Fox shocks aren't made anymore, but there are still shock shops that will rebuild them for you.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i had a talk with the owner of a local race shop, the guy is really reputable. He used to race and currently builds motors for some AMA guys and a few CCS people. He told me to avoid Fox and Elka simply because they just aren't really good products. So I guess I'm gonna be looking for a Penske or Ohlins.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i could see avoiding fox because parts are harder and harder to come by. but elka makes a helluva shock at a great price...

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
well... I got a GSXR SRAD shock for my first gen... replaced stock spring with Hyperpro progressive spring for my weight... never rebuilt or revalved it and it was day and night better for me than a stock SV shock for total $150 investment and I like the added rise

that being said... I will have that setup for sale in classifieds soon because I am currently replacing with an Elka triple clicker ;D

·
Registered
539 Posts
so true. i need to revalve mine again. i have it mapped out somewhere. if i had the coin i would buy a quality shock.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my local guy doesn't like Elka for two reasons, he can't find the specific shock oil they require (they call for a specific 2wt, but it's more of a 7wt and he still can't find it here in the states) and he thought their three-way should barely be considered that. I'm not saying that they are bad, I'm just going off what he tells me. I think it's impossible to be worse than the stock shock, so obviously anything is a step up.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well i had a talk with the owner of a local race shop, the guy is really reputable. He used to race and currently builds motors for some AMA guys and a few CCS people. He told me to avoid Fox and Elka simply because they just aren't really good products. So I guess I'm gonna be looking for a Penske or Ohlins.
he is correct. will it matter to most of you street guys is another story.
people that work on shocks and see how they work know what difference is and why some are good and some not so.
personally I would avoid buying any shock not penske or ohlins.
there is reason penske and ohlins are most used shocks.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well... I got a GSXR SRAD shock for my first gen... replaced stock spring with Hyperpro progressive spring for my weight... never rebuilt or revalved it and it was day and night better for me than a stock SV shock for total $150 investment and I like the added rise

that being said... I will have that setup for sale in classifieds soon because I am currently replacing with an Elka triple clicker ;D
What spring rate did you go with. Since i'm 19 i don't really have a spare grand laying around for a Penske. So i'm gonna do a temp fix on the GSXR shock

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
What spring rate did you go with. Since i'm 19 i don't really have a spare grand laying around for a Penske. So i'm gonna do a temp fix on the GSXR shock
It won't be a "fix" to put a stiffer spring on that shock, it'll make it worse. It would be cheaper and better to use a different shock, like a 636.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It won't be a "fix" to put a stiffer spring on that shock, it'll make it worse. It would be cheaper and better to use a different shock, like a 636.
But out of curiosity, how would a stiffer spring make it worse. I know it won't change the fact that there isn't enough rebound dampening. But shouldn't a stiffer spring just make it less crappy?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And what about just getting a rebound seperator valve put on. That might give me a little more rebound dampening. Just a thought. As you can tell I'm not really into the idea of getting another shock

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
But out of curiosity, how would a stiffer spring make it worse. I know it won't change the fact that there isn't enough rebound dampening. But shouldn't a stiffer spring just make it less crappy?
Wrong spring rate + properly matched damping = not good.

Correct spring rate + unmatched damping = potential for dangerous pogoing = potentially much worse.

·
Registered
843 Posts
As you can tell I'm not really into the idea of getting another shock
A spring is going to be at least $50 for sure and there are tons of people on here (who by the way have been there and done that) who say it will only make it worse.

A 636 Shock will be somewhere between $25 and $75, depending on how hard you search.

While not great by any means, the valving in a 636 shock will be much better suited for an SV than an SRAD shock. The spring will likely be a little stiff for you, but certainly much better than that SRAD piece of crap.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts