Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this crazy idea popped into my head yesterday... 2nd gen sv frame, bmw single sided shaft drive swingarm, and a nice little gsxr 600 motor stuffed into the frame sideways. Crazy right?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
it'd be very interesting. i'd like to see someone try it. i wonder how the motor would sit in the frame and what all would have to be fabbed up to make it work. could definitely be a sleeper though.

·
Banned
39 Posts
well if you need to turn it sideways to get it to fit then you'd need to rig up some kinda rediculous pulley system to get the power from the real front sprocket to a makeshift one elsewhere lined up with rear sprocket an it would have to be mounted somewhere solid otherwise the whole thing would twist into a pretzel the first time you took off

would be easier to try to try to fit it in straight but you'd have some major rearranging on the frame to make it fit. it could be done just need the right stuff to cut an weld alluminum an some think scrap alluminum lots a time an patience

i honestly wish someone would break down an do this

·
Banned
39 Posts
maybe a shaftdrive with the motor sideways, hmm
This is a briliant idea!! that would actually be strong enough to handle the power. but the only problem i can see is figuring out how to make it fit. It would be a no brainer if that pesky rear shock wasn't there or the exhaust pipe for that matter.

the shaft driven sv would be born prolly the first shaft driven motorcycle in the history of the planet. The system would be like that of a rear wheel drive car. genious i wish i had the time an money to explore this because it would be some ground braking ****. easiest way i can think of to create space would be to buy a custom extended rear swingarm (which is badass buy itself but also like 1200$)

but would be a fun project but not very cost effective prolly better off buying a gsxr

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should just BUY a GSXR!
don't even get me started on that one.

bmw shaft drive is on the right side so it would line up perfect with the front sprocket output shaft if I turned the gsxr motor 90deg to the left.

dual pull cable operated shift

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
By the way, my comment was mainly referring to this (unless you were trying your hand at sarcasm...):
the shaft driven sv would be born prolly the first shaft driven motorcycle in the history of the planet.
If you end up trying it, you know you have to post up the build here, right ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
the shaft driven sv would be born prolly the first shaft driven motorcycle in the history of the planet. The system would be like that of a rear wheel drive car. genious i wish i had the time an money to explore this because it would be some ground braking ****.
First shaft driven motorcycle???? You guys must really be smoking something strong.

Especially since the OP said he wanted to use the single sided swingarm / shaft drive from a BMW

and here is a bike from 1913 with a shaft drive. I think 'first' went a long time ago:

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
somebody was definitely partaking in the 4/20 festivities when they thought of this swap. especially if they thought it was a cool/good idea.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't listen to them Bob!

You build that SV.

The SV with the gsxr 600 (why not 750 or 1000?) engine, BMW shaft driven sssa, and gsxr tail.
Well thanks for the support, but this is mostly a brainstorming session for now. Has anyone actually seen the price of that beemer sssa? Ridiculous!

750 or 1000 are an option but I figured a 600 would prob be an easier fit and has a good enough power-weight for me :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts