Votes: 16 34.0%
  • R1

Votes: 31 66.0%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am swapping out ye olde front end for a fancy pants 05 front end and for the sake of being different I really like the look of the R1 calipers but at the same time I don't mind the GSXR's.

Performance wise, what's better? GSXR or R1?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Year?
Details of each?

Not enough info.

·
Registered
381 Posts
honestly they are both good

the yamaha master Cyl's are better though

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For fair comparison we will say 2005 for each. The front end I bought comes with 2005 calipers and the r1 calipers I was looking at were 2005. So 2005 it is.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I want to say the pads on the R1 calipers are easier to change out.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you racing with them or street riding?

Even racing I think the benefits of the R1's are minimal. I have had a set of R1 calipers that I was going to put on my GSXR race bike for two years.... lines, FRESH fluid, and good pads and I have no issues with the GSXR's.

If you like the look of one over the other than pick the one you like better but street wise I don't think you will ever tell a difference.

If you do want a set of GSXR's hit me up I have a mint set I will part with.;D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Can the R1 calipers be mounted to an 07 svs with a bracket?
Anyone have any pics of the r1 calipers set up?
Sure......if you can come up with a bracket that converts from axial mount forks to radial mount calipers.

Braking might not be significantly different, but the loss of about 500gms unsprung weight might be worth the R1-R6 caliper change.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Well I am swapping out ye olde front end for a fancy pants 05 front end and for the sake of being different I really like the look of the R1 calipers but at the same time I don't mind the GSXR's.

Performance wise, what's better? GSXR or R1?
What rotors are you planning on using (or do you have them already?)?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

For this year it will be my street bike with the occassional track day. Next year if all goes as planned it will be integrated to a track only bike.

I already have the GSXR's coming to me with the front end I bought thanks for the offer though!

What rotors are you planning on using (or do you have them already?)?
I am in the market for rotors. I have a 05 gsxr front end so they would have to be 300mm unless I get the spacers, any suggestions on rotors?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Note that they both have radial mount calipers. I'd check the bolt distance carefully. It won't be easy to modify the GSXR caliper bracket if the bolt holes don't line up. I didn't check the net for adapter brackets.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Note that they both have radial mount calipers. I'd check the bolt distance carefully. It won't be easy to modify the GSXR caliper bracket if the bolt holes don't line up. I didn't check the net for adapter brackets.

People have been running the R1 calipers on the GSXR legs for years. The spacing is exactly the same. I have them on my bike.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I am in the market for rotors. I have a 05 gsxr front end so they would have to be 300mm unless I get the spacers, any suggestions on rotors?

BTW, if you get the R1 / R6 calipers (they're the same), you need to run 320mm rotors. You'd also need spacers for the r1/6 calipers if you go that route, as well as the r6 caliper bolts.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Even racing I think the benefits of the R1's are minimal. I have had a set of R1 calipers that I was going to put on my GSXR race bike for two years.... lines, FRESH fluid, and good pads and I have no issues with the GSXR's.

If you like the look of one over the other than pick the one you like better but street wise I don't think you will ever tell a difference.

I'm interested in the GSXR calipers. Just a few questions if you don't mind.
How much braking power do you gain?
What rotors do I need to get?
Do you have the adaptor also?
Any pics?
And ofcourse how much?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts