Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I snagged a 2002 gsxr 1000 set of forks, upper and lower triples, bearings. I have a 2004 front wheel. Will it fit? I know alot of the newer(00-05) parts are interchangeable. Just thought I'd ask. If I had an axle I would just see if they would go together.

Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
TWF said:
yes,it will fit.you need 320mm rotors for that wheel.04 has 300mm.
what about 05 TWF ? which is better , my guess would be the 320mm, if that is so how do get it to fit shims. would i be able to tell the diffrents/would it be worth while to make it fit :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
coyote said:
what about 05 TWF ? which is better , my guess would be the 320mm, if that is so how do get it to fit shims. would i be able to tell the diffrents/would it be worth while to make it fit :)
05 is same as 04, 300mm rotors. Going to 320mm would be unnecessary I think, unless you were to do a blingin' R1 caliper retrofit, which requires the 320mm rotors (and Zoran's special captive spacer).

EDIT: Whoops, I meant to say, 05 is same as 04 for GSXR600/750 models. GSXR1000 for 05 has 310mm rotors.

The R1 calipers really are substantially lighter than the GSXR units.

·
Registered
687 Posts
ah but they will work right but i will just need spacer right ? i have a line on a pair for from a 600 is why i ask ..

·
Registered
514 Posts
coyote said:
Its not a matter or better, more of different. The 04+ bike runs a radial brakes, which are not compatiable with the older forks.

You need 320mm rotors and calipers of an older GSXR.

·
Registered
687 Posts
quasi888 said:
Which forks and which wheel are you trying to mate up?
i have the 05 forks i havent got a wheel yet still working on that one ..

T

·
0 Posts
coyote said:
same deal with 05.you can use wheel but not rotors.you must use 320mm rotors.you can not fit other rotors.
320mm rotors are on all gsxr's,tl's and busa's from 96-03(except 03 gsxr1000)

·
Registered
687 Posts
TWF said:
same deal with 05.you can use wheel but not rotors.you must use 320mm rotors.you can not fit other rotors.
320mm rotors are on all gsxr's,tl's and busa's from 96-03(except 03 gsxr1000)
so it would just be easyer if i could find a 04-05 wheel to match up with my 05 forks :)

T

·
0 Posts
coyote said:
so it would just be easyer if i could find a 04-05 wheel to match up with my 05 forks :)
forget what I said,I tought you are original poster that has 02 forks.
for your 05 forks any wheel from 01(and 00 gsxr750) will work.you can also use any rotors you want,300,310,320,you just need spacer under calipers and longer bolts.

·
Registered
687 Posts
OK :) thanks that helped tons. do you have the spacer and bolts in a kit :) by any chance

·
Registered
687 Posts
do i just look for longer bolt or is there a name for them ? thanks for all the help again

T

·
0 Posts
coyote said:
do i just look for longer bolt or is there a name for them ? thanks for all the help again
you want longer ones.probably hardware store.
whatever spacer you use(5mm for 310 or 10mm for 320 rotors or 1mm for R1 calipers)find bolts that much longer.
I use R1 calipers and R1 bolts work for me(titanium).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quasi888 said:
do a blingin' R1 caliper retrofit, (and Zoran's special captive spacer).

That looks sweet:) Where do I get the captive spacer? And any year R1?

·
Registered
47 Posts
svsMD said:
That looks sweet:) Where do I get the captive spacer? And any year R1?
PM/Email Zoran (TWF on this board) for the captive spacers.

The calipers need to be from a 04-05 R1, or 05 R6, as those are the only ones that have the radial calipers. (I'm assuming you already have a radial caliper front end, i.e. 04+ GSXR600/750, or 03+ GSXR1000?) Oh yeah, expect to pay a good amount for the calipers. They are in demand; $125 is about the going price. TWF and I have bid against each other on at least one Ebay auction. ;D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, This might sound stupid, but this is how I learn. What is the difference between a radial front end, and a regular front end? I compared some pics and it looks like the calipers mount different. BTW- I have a 2002 GSXR 1000 front end( regular)

·
Registered
47 Posts
svsMD said:
OK, This might sound stupid, but this is how I learn. What is the difference between a radial front end, and a regular front end? I compared some pics and it looks like the calipers mount different. BTW- I have a 2002 GSXR 1000 front end( regular)
Exactly right. Conventional calipers mount with the bolts parallel to the axle, radial calipers mount with the bolts transverse to the axle. The latter are a more rigid mounting solution. In theory, this allows calipers (and rotors) to be smaller/lighter without sacrificing stoppiong power.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts