Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking to my local shop about how much it would cost to get my forks dialed-in, emulators, springs, and oil, I was wondering how hard it is to change out the front end with a gixxer's?

I have seen people have done it but if someone could let me know what's involved, i.e., parts compatibility, headaches, and if it is worth it cost effectively. I have seen front ends for sale on ebay but am unsure of years to use.

BTW, I'm 6'2" and 210lbs. so any help would be appreciated from comparably sized riders. Or I suppose I could get a 1000 (scratching chin in deep thought).

E

·
0 Posts
Since your sig seemingly gives me a little insight, you would probably want the GSXR front end soley for the bling factor alone. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really worried about the bling factor in the least, but thanks for thinking of it :evil: If I wanted to bling I'd polish the frame and have someone paint dragons on the fairings and look for a one-sided swingarm 8)

I checked out the link prior to posting this and still have the following questions:

Do you need a gixxer front wheel?
Do I use the stock triple-trees?
New fender?
new brake calipers?
And is rerouting the speedo-pickup necessary with this mod?

Thanks for the help with these questions in advance. I really don't want to get a SV1000S with the same suspension woes or the extra weight of the displacement, I like my 650S alot for running back and forth to work and backroad bashing, seems to be a well balanced package and still love it after the 1st year of ownership but my buddies SuperHawk feels so much better planted in the twisties than mine,(like a locomotive compared to a dirt bike), however I still can lose him, I just would like to rid my bike of the pucker-factor involved with doing so. :lol:

E

·
0 Posts
Do a search as this has been discussed a bunch. You'll need the whole GSXR front end; forks, triples, brakes, fender, wheel, rotors, etc. Not to mention aftermarket internals if you want to make it track-worthy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Yellow, I checked that out before even starting the post and saw the pics but was looking for a little description on the process, maybe I didn't look in the right spot (?). And actually after hearing what ekraft had to say I think I'll save the headache and parts-scrounging and just go with the emulators and springs. :?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Bloodhound said:
Thanks Yellow, I checked that out before even starting the post and saw the pics but was looking for a little description on the process, maybe I didn't look in the right spot (?). And actually after hearing what ekraft had to say I think I'll save the headache and parts-scrounging and just go with the emulators and springs. :?
the conversion is so worth it though, it only takes a month or so to gather all the parts via ebay as long as you have the cash flow. i had heavier springs and oil with the stock forks before i did the gsxr conversion and the bike still never came close to the planted feeling it has now. im going faster and riding stupider with more confidence than i ever did before, and this is without touching the internals on the gsxr750 forks.

im scared to think how amazing the bike will feel in a year or so when i get the shocks reworked and install an aftermarket rear shock to replace the gsxr1000 shock thats on the bike (which isnt perfect, but is light years beyond the stock shock).

now it just needs to warm the hell up so i can ride some more! :evil:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm sorry that I have not done a proper write up yet on my web site...I will have some time after x-mas and I promise I will do it. The swap is straight foward and the cost isn't bad considering the difference it makes. By the time I sell all of my stock SV stuff, I should end up coming close to breaking even and having a much better suspension. The hardest part by far is getting all of the parts together. You can buy a complete front end on eBay, but it will cost more than parting it together like I did. I like the '03 gsxr 750 front forks (non-radial bling) because they are some of the best forks ever put on a GSXR (SHOWA). The radial brakes are really not needed for the SV especially since the upgrade is already light years better than the stock SV stuff. After doing the swap I can easily do endos with my bike and be in total control (well, you know ;) ) - Before it would slide and tank slap on me really bad. I still have not found the time to install my speed sensor, but I have the parts to do it and know what it takes, so hopefully I will be able to do it in about a week. Check my web site in about 2 weeks and I should have found the time to improve my write ups. Feel free to PM me with questions too if you need. Here is a direct link to my site: http://people.tamu.edu/~jmh7526
Go to "Pictures" and then click on my 2004 yellow SV and it will give you all of the mods / pictures that I have done.

I just got XM (Roady2) and I will be installing that on my bike too soon :) :) :) :)

Merry Christmas!!

E

·
0 Posts
Bloodhound,

Check out these pics I have. They might be of assistance:

http://www.witchkraftracing.com/gallery.asp

Click on "Winter - 2004 - Part 1 [witchkraft] and Part 2 as well.

Part 1 shows the winter conversions on the Superbike SV I had with the GSXR forks. Part 2 shows some of the work on the Superstock SV, doing the Traxxion damper rods/RT internals, etc. etc.

Let me know if those pictures help at all ..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They helped out a little bit ekraft, I'm gonna wait to see what RedAggie gets posted on his site and then see how he makes out with the speedometer relocation. BTW, is that mandatory or is it because you are using the Speedo-Healer?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Bloodhound said:
They helped out a little bit ekraft, I'm gonna wait to see what RedAggie gets posted on his site and then see how he makes out with the speedometer relocation. BTW, is that mandatory or is it because you are using the Speedo-Healer?
you cant use the stock speedo sensor without relocating it and using the speedo healer. most people just use a bicycle computer/speedometer when they do the gsxr front end swap.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah, you either have to use the healer and relocate or bike computer - which I had on my last bike and I'm not going to have one on this bike - I didn't really like it.

I'm in Indiana right now and it was -4 degrees here today. I'll be back on the 30th and will update the web page ASAP!

Good luck and Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bloodhound said:
After talking to my local shop about how much it would cost to get my forks dialed-in, emulators, springs, and oil, I was wondering how hard it is to change out the front end with a gixxer's?
how much do they want? :roll: Racetech springs+GVE+oil cost ~250$ and takes a couple hours to install. And you can save 90$ if you cut springs to your rate.

GVE're not that hard to install, first time I've ever done it took me ~4hr from start to roll out for test ride, and out of the box settings didn't need any adjustment.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I e-mailed motospecialties.com and this is the answer I received from them. I had asked them about the conversion on my '03 which is the same as the '04.
Nearly any GSXR front end will fit up to your SV from 1996 SRAD to '05 GSXR.

With your '03 none will require a bearing kit.

Remember SRAD, K0~K3 750, GSXR1k, and 04~ GSXR600/750 will require the same type axle wheel, brake & fender combination for that model fork assembly to be a simple bolt on. i.e K series only parts, or SRAD only parts. If you decide to start mixing parts from different model years - then some assembly work is required!  It can work very well, but it takes some knowledge as to how to solve minor issues and what will mix and what doesn't. 

Any inverted GSXR clip-on from 96 up will work on all of the front ends and inverted SRAD or newer sets of triples will mount up any of the fork legs, but the offset and spacing is different from SRAD to all the others. 
Also, I found out that the SV1000S front end is the same as the '01-'03 GSXR600's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
what all do u need and how exactly do u do the gsxr front end swap and use the stock speedo.
i just did the front end conversion on my buddy's 03 650s to a 04 750 front it bolts right in, but what about the speedo sensor have any ideals on how to fix it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts