Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 SRAD front end on my 02 SV650. I have no gauges and need some badly. Would I be able to use an SRAD speed sending unit and gauges????

I have an SV speedo sending unit and was thinking about modiying it with rare earth magnets and stock SV gauges.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you modify the SV speedo sending unit or a GSXR unit???

I ask b/c I have nothing and am trying to figure out how to get it all working.

·
Registered
47 Posts
FilthyRich said:
did you modify the SV speedo sending unit or a GSXR unit???

I ask b/c I have nothing and am trying to figure out how to get it all working.
The Veypor uses neither an SV or GSXR sending unit. It has its own speed sensor, which relies on a magnet being mounted on the wheel. Most folks who have Veypors mount the magnet on the rear sprocket (I countersunk mine into one of the sprocket bolts), and the sensor on the swingarm.

·
Registered
744 Posts
For a nice factory look I'd suggest using the stock SV gauges with Jim's GSXR speedo mod.

Modifiy the stock factory gauge like in the following picture and bolt it to the top crown using the two unused threaded holes on the bottom of the crown:

Then follow the directions in the following thread to get your stock SV gauge's speedo working with the GSXR front end. It looks really good and works great:

http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=41064.0

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zoltan said:
For a nice factory look I'd suggest using the stock SV gauges with Jim's GSXR speedo mod.

Modifiy the stock factory gauge like in the following picture and bolt it to the top crown using the two unused threaded holes on the bottom of the crown:

Then follow the directions in the following thread to get your stock SV gauge's speedo working with the GSXR front end. It looks really good and works great:

I have ordered Jim's setup and have a line on some SV gauges. I also picked up a stock sv speedo sending unit. I will have to look on my GSXR upper triple and see where to mount these suckers. I looked at the Veypor, but for the $$$ I can mount stock gauges and be done (at least for now)

·
Registered
744 Posts
You don't use the stock SV sending unit, use the $35 aftermarket one from www.digikey.com. The stock SV sender isn't sensative enough and would be difficult to mount up and have it look good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zoltan said:
You don't use the stock SV sending unit, use the $35 aftermarket one from www.digikey.com. The stock SV sender isn't sensative enough and would be difficult to mount up and have it look good.
I was under the impression that the stock sending unit is used, but you cut the bottom off and solder Jim's sensor to it. I thought it was 3 wires to 3 wires and then I use the stock plug to SV harness.

·
Registered
744 Posts
FilthyRich said:
I was under the impression that the stock sending unit is used, but you cut the bottom off and solder Jim's sensor to it. I thought it was 4 wires to 4 wires and then I use the stock plug to SV harness.
Right, sorry about that. Yes, you using the stock wiring for the spending unit, but the sensor itself is the aftermarket Digikey one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries. I ALWAYS appreicate input and help. I was just making sure I had what I needed to do this. I am saving about $125 going this route over the Veypor. I also like analog gauges and would like to have some idiot lights back. ;D

T

·
0 Posts
FilthyRich said:
I have a 99 SRAD front end on my 02 SV650. I have no gauges and need some badly. Would I be able to use an SRAD speed sending unit and gauges????

I have an SV speedo sending unit and was thinking about modiying it with rare earth magnets and stock SV gauges.

Any help is appreciated
veypour unit rule man, get one of them with the billet alu case if you can afford it.

trick

·
Registered
301 Posts
algreen said:
here's another clean, wireless option for the more unique SV...

http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_product.php?pid=856_3
Be aware that while it has backlighting, it requires a button press to turn on at night and only stays on for 4 seconds.  I had this unit on my 2003 Kawa KDX 200 and it works perfect, but the backlighting would be an issue on a streetbike.  Battery powered also.  Oh yea and mine was the wired edition.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zoltan said:

do you have any more details on HOW you exactly modified the stock mount and with what???

·
Registered
744 Posts
I fitted the SV gauge about where I wanted it to go on the GSXR triple, then I measured from the threaded hole in the triple to the opposite end of the gauge's mounting bracket. I bought a 3/16" thick steel strap from Home Depot, cut off the correct length section, and then shaped it to fit with a grinder, though a Dremel would work as well. Just take your time shaping them and you'll come out alright. I drilled the holes in them, and mounted them to the triple. Then with the help of a friend I repositioned the gauge and tacked the gauge mounting brackets to the steel tabs I had just fabricated. I then unmounted it from the triple and finished up my welding. I also laid those ridges down with the welder, I just wanted them to stiffen up the tabs. I then primed and painted it black. Also, I'd suggest removing the chromed plastic from the back of the gauges and covering up the electronics underneath before welding.

Materials-
3/16" thick steel strap from Home Depot, I believe it was 3/4" wide
spray primer
spray black paint

Tools-
welder
grinder
drill
friend

What state are you located in?

·
Registered