Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around but I haven't found anyone with the exact same issue as me so I thought I'd post up and seek the opinion of the suspension guru's.

This is an 09 model that's been converted to N. 04/05 GSXR 600/750 FE that's been reworked by Zoran for my weight. Penske 8891 rear shock, PR2's running 34/36 psi.

So, here's the problem. I've noticed at higher speeds, the bike feels very twitchy. Very slight input makes the bike start to wobble. This morning, I was coming around a sweeper rather quickly and the pavement was wavy. The front end really started to wobble and I've gotta say, it was quite the pucker moment, considering the lean angle. It almost felt like a tiny tank slapper, just the bars weren't moving. I'm guessing it's an adjustment thing but I'm not sure where to start. My first guess is rebound. Seems like the front end is rebounding too quickly and causing a slight pogo. Thing is, if I'm going straight and just wiggle the bars a bit, the whole bike shakes more than what feels normal. Even shifting a bit hard will cause the bike to wobble slightly. There's no head shake when I take my hands of the bars so I've ruled out steering stem nuts being loose. Could the lower front end mated with the slightly higher rear be causing this? Think something is out of whack? Is it just me that's broken? :)

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If you changed the geometry so that the front is sitting lower than stock, you can reach a point where the front becomes twitchy and less stable. Does this occur on very smooth roads? If not, then maybe your suspension parameters, adjusters need some fine tuning.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yes, when you switched to the GSXR front end you changed the geometry of the bike as well. There are some threads about it on here (I believe) that should help you a bit. You'll likely need to lower the rear a bit or the raise the front.
Additionally, make sure you didn't tighten the steering head too much - if it's too tight it'll get twitchy and want to 'follow' grooves and such more.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda thought it was the change in geometry but it seemed to wobble more than I expected. Road surface doesn't seem to matter, it will do it on smooth or rough. I think my settings need to be dialed in and I just need to get used to the difference. I've only put about 500 or so miles on it since the swap so I may just need some more saddle time to get reacquainted. Thanks for the input, fellas!

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Check your steering bearing, may be tight.
Also front wobble does not have to be front end problem, it can be rear.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll double check the steering stem nuts to make they're not too tight/loose.

What would I be looking for in the rear?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts