Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry if this could easily be found with some googlefu, but I'm not familiar with forks in general and USD forks are completely foreign.

For reference I believe my forks are '06 600/750 GSXR forks.

Basically, if there's a nice guide out there please point me to it. I need a nice concise comprehensive breakdown on how to best get all the old oil out, and new oil in properly, to the right level. Also, what weight oil is recommended? I know SVs usually are recommended 15wt (way too heavy for a GSXR fork), and GSXR standard oil is 5W, but what's best for street?

Thanks again guys, let me know if I left out details that you need to give me an answer.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
It's not that bad! I did a set of 750 forks this spring and it took maybe 35 mins while learning! Just get a good measuring cup that reads in milliliters I think or whatever the video says and buy two quarts of oil, I used 10wt but if you need a better oil figure Rich Desmond(member here) will be able to tell you what weight to use. Or check Racetechs site for what weight fluid comes in those stock!

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Well I think the 600's are sprung for like a 180lb rider and the 750's are sprung for like a 195lb rider. That's about it and the color of the tubes. 600's are goldish and 750's are black.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm right at 180. I reckon I'll just stick with 5wt, couldn't find Rich Desmond in the Member List either. Is the general consensus on fork seals to just replace them when they leak? This looks to be a lot faster and easier process if you don't have to break open the forks...

·
Registered
486 Posts
If your just changing oil use a graduated cylinder or a scale and a bowl to measure how much you dump out. Then put the same amount back in. A more through job requires you to take the whole thing apart which gets tricky/$$.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
5wt may not be right. I used 50/50 5wt and 10wt, Motul (different oils are different), in my 05/06 1000 and it's a little light per CRS Tuning, who was primarily working on racebikes at last weekend's AFM races. Note that he felt it and then asked what weight I used. I do have different forks than you, though.

You need to measure oil level, not amount added. It's not hard with a ruler and a stick. Or, a big syringe and some clear hose and a ruler makes it even easier.

Differences between 600 and 750 are color, spring rate, and valving. 750 is both sprung and valved a little stiffer.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5wt may not be right. I used 50/50 5wt and 10wt, Motul (different oils are different), in my 05/06 1000 and it's a little light per CRS Tuning, who was primarily working on racebikes at last weekend's AFM races. Note that he felt it and then asked what weight I used. I do have different forks than you, though.

You need to measure oil level, not amount added. It's not hard with a ruler and a stick. Or, a big syringe and some clear hose and a ruler makes it even easier.

Differences between 600 and 750 are color, spring rate, and valving. 750 is both sprung and valved a little stiffer.
Sadly 5wt is what I ordered. It's got to be better than whatever has been in there for I don't know how long... i hope. If it turns out to be rubbish I'll just do it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts