Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
racing at summit point this year? i'm gonna try to hit all three ccs weekend's.

i'm gonna try to hit as many of the roger lyle dates as possible before the weekends for practice. summit main has always kicked my ass. no husky on that track, it'll be the sv.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
racing at summit point this year? i'm gonna try to hit all three ccs weekend's.

i'm gonna try to hit as many of the roger lyle dates as possible before the weekends for practice. summit main has always kicked my ass. no husky on that track, it'll be the sv.
Rgr, Lyle Dates?????

Its a possibility but I have to see, Im going to Keith Code in May at VIR. I willl be attending the June VIR dates and I wish the Carolina dates was latter in the year.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had my 03 GSXR 750 front on a G2 frame. What must be done to put it on a G1 frame? The top bearing race has a smaller diam... I'm concerned with the drop in trail by going to a GSXR fork compared to stock because the offset is smaller and the fork length is reduced. The stock trail on the SV is around 98 mm; I suspect that simply bolting on the GSXR unit is going to result in a very squirly front end.

One solution is to run 70 series tires (we run these race tires anyway on the stock sv and actually drop the triples 7.5-10 mm which more or less brings you back to stock) and get GSXR fork extensions. This makes up for the shorter forks but still doesn't address the low trail....

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Steve this is exactly why i posted in the 2000 SV tech section.

Im running 88MM of trail and was looking for advice on opening it up some. I didnt know that exstenders even exsisted. I am currently flush with the tripple and dropping is not an option. Take a look and tell me what you think?????

I am running 70's and the measurments are taken with that tire.

Def looking into the exstenders...

John

·
Registered
140 Posts
The bike must be very twichy @ speed. The fork extenders are from Race Tech or Traxxion but not cheap @ around $100 each. Another solution is to increase offset between the forks and the steering stem - requires good machine shop. Not sure that the GSXR front end is worth all the trouble. I'm actually running G2 forks with ZX6 cartridges. Add a Brembo master and EBC wave rotors/Extreme pro pads and you'll have a better front end without the higher weight of the GSXR unit.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The bike must be very twichy @ speed. The fork extenders are from Race Tech or Traxxion but not cheap @ around $100 each. Another solution is to increase offset between the forks and the steering stem - requires good machine shop.
Finally you can send the cartridges to Zoran from Twinworks who can do internal lengthening - unfortunately only 5 mm in the newer forks (before, 10 mm were possible). Gettin the cartridges adjusted by Zoran is a good thing anyway, the way i hear it. :)

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
667 Posts
The bike must be very twichy @ speed. The fork extenders are from Race Tech or Traxxion but not cheap @ around $100 each. Another solution is to increase offset between the forks and the steering stem - requires good machine shop. Not sure that the GSXR front end is worth all the trouble. I'm actually running G2 forks with ZX6 cartridges. Add a Brembo master and EBC wave rotors/Extreme pro pads and you'll have a better front end without the higher weight of the GSXR unit.
Its not necesarry. The 1st gen chassis works very well with the GSXR front end with no problems. The GSXR front end is .75 lbs lighter. (this is the average from 7 GSXR front ends weighed against 2 SV front ends.) No matter what you do to the brakes on the SV they will not be as good as the GSXR. That being said, lots of guys dont need or cant use the extra brakes. Fast lap times can be had with either front end, though the stock front end runs out of talent until you drop a set of AK 20s in. And in the end I firmly believe the GSXR front end is capable of more.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put it on the track this weekend and it felt great. The bike was responsive with quick and smooth turn in and no front vibs or twitchiness on the straights. I still have a lot of fine tuning to do but I am very happy with the up grade.
Had I not had the combo of new front, new track and rain I could have been able to be a bit more aggressive with it but I got a month to go thru my notes and impressions and apply them to the bike so that the next day at the track will be very productive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts