Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just won a set of 03 gsxr 750 calipers and plan on putting them on my 01 SVn. SO now should i get a new master cylinder? if so which one?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
IIRC, you only need a new MC if the calipers are radial-mounted, which yours are not.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Unless you have a GSXR front end, they will not bolt up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill need rotors too? i was under the impression i could just use the adapters.. makes since that would work no?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
makes since that would work no?
Makes what? Sense?

Anyway, the sole purpose of the adapters is to just switch calipers. You don´t need different rotors. And you need a new master cylinder as much as on a stock SV braking system: Nice to have, but not necessary.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya i didnt think i needed rotors...
ya i was thinking of upgrading the master cyl. while i was doing the calipers..

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
no point really. the mc will help yes but you will have to bleed the whole system change the calipers only and a simple gravity bleed followed by a few presses will be all u need

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I just installed mine (like just now). I scored a set of calipers for about $26 shipped.

Bleeding was hard (I have a ABS bike). Here are some completed pics:

Haven't had a chance to test ride it yet. Gotta go take the pregnant wife and toddler out to eat...

tk

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I was under the impression that the caliper adapter moved the calipers further out as will as a different angle...mah bad.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
It'd be a bit of an odd choice to change the calipers and stick with the standard m/c. Yes, it can do it, but you'll be upgrading a bit that works decently (calipers) while leaving standard a bit that's barely adequate. So sure, you can leave it standard but it's kind of hard to justify. I'd sooner have a nicer quality m.c (R6 most likely) and standard calipers, than GSXR calipers and standard m/c. Well, to be fair the calipers would be sooooooo far down my list of modifications that this whole response makes no sense ;D

PS, the cost of the caliper mounting plates may be more than the cost to replace the front end, once you factor in the resale values. And to get any advantage from the calipers you'll also want to improve the front suspension anyway, unless of course you already did that. All of which makes this a pretty questionable mod, unless you already have well set up forks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya im going to get a new MC, and the cost for adapters is minimal as im going to machine my own.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Also, for those who have the ABS equipped SV's have no other choice (that I can figure at least) than upgrading internals with EMU, and brakes with GSXR calipers. This is, so far, the only way to keep the ABS and have a better front end.

tk

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Does the ABS still work correctly with the different calipers then? That's quite cool, and unusual for that matter.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Yep. ABS should still work. The sensor on the rotor will sense if/when the front is locking and the hydraulic unit should take over and modulate braking.

I wanted a swap because I like to wrench, but I can figure out no way to do that and keep the ABS function without spending too much $$ of trial and error.

My front already has EMU's and 20wt oil, making it exactly the way I want it, so the caliper upgrade is the final icing on the cake.

I'm waiting for my weekend ride and I'll try it out and report back.

tk

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Yep. ABS should still work. The sensor on the rotor will sense if/when the front is locking and the hydraulic unit should take over and modulate braking.

I wanted a swap because I like to wrench, but I can figure out no way to do that and keep the ABS function without spending too much $$ of trial and error.

My front already has EMU's and 20wt oil, making it exactly the way I want it, so the caliper upgrade is the final icing on the cake.

I'm waiting for my weekend ride and I'll try it out and report back.

tk
No upgraded springs?

·
Registered
54 Posts
stock mc will work but not as well as some other chooses that are out there. a SP2 RC51 master is a good choose or if you want to do it right go with the brembo radial. what ever you do make sure to stick with a 19*18

1 - 20 of 27 Posts