Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I can't leave well enough alone.... Having upgraded the suspension on my '06 SV650S with sonic .90 springs & ZX6r shock, I became bugged by the wooden feel of the stock front brakes.
One might ask "if you want GSXR handling & brakes, why not buy a GSXR ?"
My reason is that I love the SV motor.
I owned a GSXR600 track bike, which was fantastic on the track, but way too hyper to enjoy on the street.
I went to SVRP and owner Blair Layton for caliper adaptors for GSXR Tokico 4 piston brakes. These adaptors are a perfect match for the new calipers that I sourced on Ebay. At the same time I ordered Galfer pads & stainless lines to replace the 13 year old rubber lines.
Everything installed easily until the brake bleeding, which got nowhere with the traditional brake squeeze & bleed technique.
Back to Ebay, where I found a "X-Bull" vacuum bleeder for $18 {free shipping}.
It arrived in two days and, 20 minutes later, I had great brakes.

Jim B

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ran into the same issue bleeding the brakes when I installed new lines up front a few weeks back. Rather than buying a vacuum bleeder, I pulled out my bleed kit for my MTB stuff and hooked up a syringe to the calipers and did a bottom up fill first to prime the system. Then followed up with a traditional top down bleed for a perfect feel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a similar issue but mine was user error. One of the valves was not tightened enough. Not so lose that it would leak but not so tight to create a vacuum. DOH!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
239 Posts
Brake job looks good.. I did the same thing on my SV before I put a K3 Gixxer front end on... and it wasn't so much that the Gixxer calipers worked better but they just felt so much better... the brakes felt beautiful...
It seems I can't leave well enough alone.... Having upgraded the suspension on my '06 SV650S with sonic .90 springs & ZX6r shock, I became bugged by the wooden feel of the stock front brakes.
One might ask "if you want GSXR handling & brakes, why not buy a GSXR ?"
My reason is that I love the SV motor.
I owned a GSXR600 track bike, which was fantastic on the track, but way too hyper to enjoy on the street.
I went to SVRP and owner Blair Layton for caliper adaptors for GSXR Tokico 4 piston brakes. These adaptors are a perfect match for the new calipers that I sourced on Ebay. At the same time I ordered Galfer pads & stainless lines to replace the 13 year old rubber lines.
Everything installed easily until the brake bleeding, which got nowhere with the traditional brake squeeze & bleed technique.
Back to Ebay, where I found a "X-Bull" vacuum bleeder for $18 {free shipping}.
It arrived in two days and, 20 minutes later, I had great brakes.

Jim B

·
Super Moderator
8,162 Posts
usually they wont bleed up because youre trying to fill an empty system with speedbleeders and air alone isnt enough to open the valve

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have .90 kg/mm springs on my '07 SVS as well (and just upgraded my ZX6r rear shock!). I'm about 180-185lbs in full gear and I too am not impressed with my stock brakes but I am already bottoming out the front suspension. Do you have this issue as well? I feel as though improving my brakes will simply magnify my front end short-comings.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just got sag dialed but the guy setting my bike up suggested 20w fork oil. I run 15w now. He also suggested I could benefit from 1.0kg/mm springs and some emulators but I'm just going to try oil for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts