Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if it would be possible purly for shits and giggles to put a gsxr600 or even 750 motor into an gen 1 sv650. let me know if anyone has tried this or even thinks its possible without major refab on the frame

·
Registered
537 Posts
+1

LOL :lol: just do a quick visual check and you'll see there's no way it'd fit w/o major fabbing. you may as well go all out and pickup a spondon frame instead of trying to bolt it onto an SV frame.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the motor is a stressed member and is intigral part of design of frame, gixxer motors are shaped different and need a different shaped frame

I'm sure you could scab something, but it wouldn't be anything I would want to test the limits on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i didnt really think it would be possible but ya never know, but if it did work it would make a nasty bike lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
iflylikeaneagle said:
yeah i didnt really think it would be possible but ya never know, but if it did work it would make a nasty bike lol
If it was possibe, I think a stock gsxr would be a far superior bike than any SV/gsxr monstosity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
the sv frame is way to thin (horizontally). Stock sv frames have to fit one cylider horizontally in the frame, whereas you'd have to get four in that same space with a gsxr engine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
RandyO said:
the motor is a stressed member and is intigral part of design of frame, gixxer motors are shaped different and need a different shaped frame
I'm not sure about that. I think the engine must be structural to be considered a stressed member, and in the SV the engine isn't, I don't believe it is in the GSXR either. The engine just hangs there and doesn't connect anything to anything. Now a Monster or Super Hawk would be different.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
maybe you could take a gsxr1000 motor.. and cut it in half 8)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Don't ask stupid questions that obviously are not capable of being done. :roll: :wink: Oh yeah, and go buy a I4 it that's the type of engine you want.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Omaha 1 said:
Don't ask stupid questions that obviously are not capable of being done. :roll: :wink: Oh yeah, and go buy a I4 it that's the type of engine you want.
no need to get hostile i was just making conversation :roll: :wink: and if i wanted an I4 i would buy one :D

·
Registered
744 Posts
Omaha 1 said:
Don't ask stupid questions that obviously are not capable of being done.
It definitely capable of being done, it would just cost too much to be worth it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol if i had a spare sv frame and a spare gsxr motor just lying around i bet i could get it to work. of course i dont have those things lying around bit if someone would like to donate them to me it would be a great cause and also tax deductable :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not sure about that. I think the engine must be structural to be considered a stressed member, and in the SV the engine isn't, I don't believe it is in the GSXR either. The engine just hangs there and doesn't connect anything to anything. Now a Monster or Super Hawk would be different.
yeah like the VTR 1000 firestorm, they use the back of the engine to connect the swinger to, swinger doesn't connect through the frame like most bikes, then the rearsets connect to the ends of the swinger (strange)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts