Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw one of these at a "sell your stuff" lot in town and I was like "Wtf is that??" Call me squidish or w/e but I seriously didn't know that this bike existed, I'm assuming its basically a katana. What is it, and better yet why is it? How does it perform vs the SV and GSXR600?

It just intrigued me.

**I looked at the suzuki site and it looks like its not priced much higher than the Sv, so I further question its existence.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It's the Katana's replacement.

The GSX650F isn't as sporty as the SV650. It weighs a hundred pounds more but with the same amount of power; its wheelbase is almost two inches longer making it less nimble... It's also $400 more than the SV650SF...you could take that money and put higher clip ons or standard bars and have a much better motorcycle.

The GSX-R600, by the way, blows both the SV650 and GSX650F out of the water in every performance category except low-end torque...

·
Registered
406 Posts
i think the 650 bandit, the gsxf650 and the sv650 are all in the same "category" however, the gsxf is definitely closer to the bandit.

i like the gsxf a lot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think its a cross between the old Bandit and the Katana, but with FI. I dont think it compares to the SV, it looks heavy and slow. However it does have 4 piston calipers...

GSF650 531 lbs
SV650s 438lbs

·
Registered
153 Posts
lol ive never noticed it either... lol thats weird.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
i just assumed that was the new katana.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I think its a cross between the old Bandit and the Katana, but with FI. I dont think it compares to the SV, it looks heavy and slow. However it does have 4 piston calipers...

GSF650 531 lbs
SV650s 438lbs
Well, once they start getting wrecked this might be a cheap way to upgrade brakes. Will be interested to see if swapping will be an option.

·
Registered
183 Posts

GSF650 531 lbs
SV650s 438lbs
on suzuki's website it says it comes with dual piston calipers. Still like the SV better. ;D

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
It's the old 500F with a the bandit 650 motor in it now.

I4, fully faired in the same class as the Ninja 500R.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Father in-law has one and its actually a really fun bike. Not nearly as nimble as the SV but it is VERY comfortable for long trips and is very smooth.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Its a tour-y version of a gsxr. When I sat on one it reminded me of a more fleshed-out, comfy GS500.

Looks like it would be a nice 2-up bike.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
^^
And this is why I almost like it. I would dig a touring version of a GSXR, but at least make it 750cc to combat the extra weight. Something more comfortable but less powerful then the SV seems a waste. The SV is about the weakest motor I would really want to travel with.

·
Registered
290 Posts
from suzuki's website "New Tokico 4 piston front brake calipers are used with a 310mm brake rotor for optimum braking performance and combined with a lightweight single piston rear caliper and a 240mm rear brake disc"

and you can tell by looking in the picture as well.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Two pistons on each side of the rotor (only looks like two front the side).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts