Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at the upgrade path.. I love my SV handling but I'm longing for more power.. 1L bikes are very expensive on insurance (at least in canada) so I was looking at the Daytona 675.. but the GSX'r looks real sweet.

Any one ride/try one lately the 2011 is said to be 429lb's wet with a 150HP at the crank.. great review on sports rider.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have a 2012 GSX-R 750 and it is a great bike. Lots of mid range power that is good for the street but definitely has the top end if you want it. I havent come near finding out exactly how much top end but I know its there. I havent talked to a single person that has ridden one and did not like it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you ever own an SV650s?
How does it compare?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't think you need to own both to know they are completely different machines built for completely different purposes. Comparing them seems kind of silly to me. The gixxer is an extremely powerful track monster while the SV is a fairly quick sporty jack-of-all-trades bike. It's kind of like comparing a Nissan GT-R and a Nissan Maxima, lol.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
did you ever own an SV650s?
How does it compare?
Yes, my previous bike was a 2007 SV650S. They are just completely different like subiegy said. The SVS has more low end grunt and you have to shift a lot more. I am in 6th gear by the time I hit 60 or 70 on the SVS. On the GSX-R, I am still in 3rd. Everyone talks about the engine braking on the SVS but I actually find the engine braking on the GSX-R to be nicer because I can use it a lot longer before I have to downshift. Everything about the GSX-R is just smoother from start to finish. It is very easy to handle in corners and such. The riding position is a little aggressive compared to the SVS but I like that for spirited riding. Its not as comfortable on long rides as the SVS but compared to other sport bikes, I find it pretty comfortable. It also gets a lot of attention from people. My neighborhood flocked to it when I brought it home. The biggest drawback for me was the difference in insurance. I pay about $500-600 more a year for the GSX-R. I love both bikes and would recommend them both to anyone depending on what they were looking for.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Do it! You won't regret it. My 750 is better than my SV in every way imagineable.

The only reason I ride my SV is because I don't give a sh!t if I toss it into the gravel at the track.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My cousin has a Daytona 675... if you can afford to maintain it properly, they are fun!! I wouldnt know about the gsx-r, I bet those are awesome too, but I've ridden the daytona and its incredible. He let me ride it when we were down in Branson and through the twisties it was just a blast. I agree about comparing an SV with a bike like a gsx-r or the daytona is kind of silly. The majority of riding I've done is on my SV and that daytona, and there's no comparison, totally different experiences. My cousin loves my SV though and makes me drive his daytona sometimes, and vice versa--fun to change it up sometimes. And in my defense, I have to say that daytona doesnt have a lot on my SV at lower speeds. When you start getting up into triple digit speeds though, yeah, he smokes me.... :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
I learned on a SV650 and bought an gsxr 750 last year. your first time on the bike you will feel like your riding position is lower and more compact (because it is). You will also freak out a little when you rip through second gear and hit about 7-8k rpms bc the bike really moves....I found that cornering was more fluid on the gsxr, the bike wants to be turned. the enging will feel smother. the suspension will feel amazing in turns comparatively....i mean its not a fair fight at all.
I will always look back on the SV with nostalgia and to be honest I want another sv (looking for a crashed one) just to have a nice winter project bc i liked that bike alot. I havent been on an SV since i got the GSXR and i fear that if i ever do I will be a little let down since the power on the gsxr is far more impressive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bumped from a '99 SV650N to a 2006 GSX-R750 recently. I'm very pleased. Between the chassis/suspension and riding position, my confidence is greatly improved. The SV has 62k miles on it with no suspension work, so it's not a proper apples to oranges comparison, but it feels all over the place compared to the 750. Power is fun, too, of course. I don't notice much difference down low, but I didn't get it to goof around in the city at 20-40 mph.

I've had the 750 to 172 mph indicated in 5th gear. Acceleration falls off quite a bit around 160. I plan to change final ratio to get there a little quicker and push her into 6th. SV topped at 125-130(?) indicated. Big difference in how they get there, too.

I feel pretty similarly to Dread. Do it!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have had both a 06 svs and an 07 gsxr 750. I loved em both. However, you cannot compare the two in any manner. One is a high end, no expense sparred, race bike while the other is heavily budgeted sport/tourer. That being said Id take my svs for the street any day over the 750. But if youre a track whore Id would take the 750 hands down.

·
Registered
274 Posts
<SNIP> The SVS has more low end grunt and you have to shift a lot more. I am in 6th gear by the time I hit 60 or 70 on the SVS. On the GSX-R, I am still in 3rd.<SNIP>
What sprocket setup did you have on your SV??

I know mine's a bit taller at 17/46, but 1st gets me to around 70mph indicated, and 2nd gets me to near or above 100mph. Granted, I tend to upshift fairly early, with the exception of when I'm in front at a red-light or on a highway on-ramp. Even still, once I hit 1st hard in those situations, I often skip 2nd, 3rd and 4th entirely. The fact that the SV is very happy at lower revs is one of the things I love about the SV, but I know it's not to everyone's tastes.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide!

·
Registered
905 Posts
The GSXR600 has what, about 100hp? Then the 750 has 150. How the hell did they add 50% more HP on 150 more CCs? The litre version 'only' gains another 40hp for 190 or so.

That said, the 750 was a popular choice at my last track day. I think I counted six or seven of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
600's claim around 120 at the crank, 100ish at the rear wheel, I think. The 150 hp claim on the 750 is at the crank.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Oh yea? It's a pain when a spec doesn't say if it's WHP or BHP.

I'd love to try a 'real' sportbike on the track sometime. Last time I went Ducati had a sign-up thing where you could demo a couple different bikes, but they were booked. :(

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
What sprocket setup did you have on your SV??

I know mine's a bit taller at 17/46, but 1st gets me to around 70mph indicated, and 2nd gets me to near or above 100mph. Granted, I tend to upshift fairly early, with the exception of when I'm in front at a red-light or on a highway on-ramp. Even still, once I hit 1st hard in those situations, I often skip 2nd, 3rd and 4th entirely. The fact that the SV is very happy at lower revs is one of the things I love about the SV, but I know it's not to everyone's tastes.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide!
Both bikes had stock setups. You were around 70 on the SV in first gear? Wow. I dont like coming close to redline on any bike unless I am trying to race.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Though I know you are looking at a newer Gsxr 750, I had a 97' Gsxr 750 and it repeadily try to kill me on the street and the track. I got rid of the 750 once I got the SV650 to the track. After the usual upgrades I have to say that m SV650 is much more fun that a 750. I am in the market for something a bit bigger too and I am sold on the 675R. Yes its harder to find parts but its not impossible. The Gsxr are a dime a dozen unfortunately and don't think of ever leaving it out more than a couple of hours in NYC. It's the #1 bike of choice for Squids and theives. Squids constantly crash them into things which means that someone is always looking for parts which is why insurance is so high and is a target for theives. Oh yeah the insurance is also high because their fast.

If you have to buy the 750 buy but keep the SV650, if not you'll regret selling it. That's what most people say once they sell it and see a nicely set up or kept SV.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bumped from a '99 SV650N to a 2006 GSX-R750 recently. I'm very pleased. Between the chassis/suspension and riding position, my confidence is greatly improved. The SV has 62k miles on it with no suspension work, so it's not a proper apples to oranges comparison, but it feels all over the place compared to the 750. Power is fun, too, of course. I don't notice much difference down low, but I didn't get it to goof around in the city at 20-40 mph.

I've had the 750 to 172 mph indicated in 5th gear. Acceleration falls off quite a bit around 160. I plan to change final ratio to get there a little quicker and push her into 6th. SV topped at 125-130(?) indicated. Big difference in how they get there, too.

I feel pretty similarly to Dread. Do it!
Why on earth are you going that fast in the first place if it's not on a (really long) track and why would you feel the need to modify the bike in order to reach such ludicrous speeds even faster? Death wish?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Why on earth are you going that fast in the first place if it's not on a (really long) track and why would you feel the need to modify the bike in order to reach such ludicrous speeds even faster? Death wish?
Some folks just need to do stuff to say that they did it or say that they can. Wait till he has to ride around town and he's constantly shifting and gas starts to dwindle. That's a lot of work to get to a high mph, maybe he races it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts