Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you mess up your bike. I cannot guarantee anything will work for you. I don't know everything there is to know about gauges. I am a mechanical engineer, not electrical. ;D

I have managed to put, what I believe to be, (eBay - you never can know for sure) 2001 GSX-R750 gauges on my 2005 SV650s.

Things that work 100%:
  • Hi Beam indicator
  • Turn signal indicator
  • Neutral light
  • Tachometer
  • Oil Light

Things that seem to work but have not been tested yet:
  • Speedometer - works, but I'm sure it's off. Based on my calculations the new gauges should read about 44% or 88% (I think the GSX-R uses 4 pulses per rpm, so that would put us at 88%) of what the stock ones read. I have not fully tested this yet.
  • Temperature - It displays a number that seems correct, but I have not verified that it is yet.
  • Fuel light - I believe it will work the same but haven't fully tested it yet.

Issues:
  • FI Light - It randomly would come on and just about every error code in the book flashed up.
  • Won't mount up the same as the stock gauges - duh. If you are attempting this, then I think you should be able to figure out some way to mount them.
  • Probably won't work on 03-04 SV's.

I believe the 03-04 gauges are different. My wiring diagram shows a few differences with the gauge wiring. If anyone has successfully switched between 03-04 and 05+ then please let me know.

I also don't know if all 05+ are the same. They may have switched at some point. My factory manual only goes up to 2006. My guess is that this will work on the SV1000, but I haven't verified that.

Also, I think this should work the same on the S and naked models, but I think the wiring diagrams are different and I don't know what's different or why.

I think all 3 of the GSX-R gauges for those years are the same, but on the TL Zone, they said that the 600 and 1000 are the same and the 750 is different. I only know that mine works.

The process is actually pretty simple. The GSX-R and SV use the same 16 pin connector for their gauges. All you need to do is switch the pin order and add a switched 12V wire for the Illumination.

Here is a chart showing the pin position of the stock gauges and what the new one needs to be. Please note that this is looking at the side of the connector where the wires come out, and the connector tab thing is at the top. For the wires with 2 colors the first is the main wire color and the second is the color of the tracer. I.e. Red / White means it is a red wire with a white stripe.

This is a simplified version that shows what position the wires need to be in for the GSX-R750 gauge:

The asterisk means that you need to add a wire there. I would just splice a new wire into the Orange / Green wire and use a new terminal in the #9 hole. I have not done this yet.
I am told you can get factory connectors here:
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Waterproof_Connectors/SM-MT/sm-mt.html
http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages...inals/electrical_terminals_and_connectors.htm
http://www.eagleday.com/ampconnectors.html
http://www.electrosport.com/products/accessories-connectors-wiring.php
Possibly at auto parts stores - Napa has a big selection, but I do not know exactly which one is needed.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE, DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY!
One of the wires is always hot, so either pull the fuse or just disconnect the battery. You don't want to short anything out.

First thing you need to do is flip up the two little flaps on the wire side of the connector. You can see the tabs that hold them down.

Here it is with them flipped up.

Then you'll want to work from the gauge side of the plug. I found it easiest to hold the plug "upside down" so the little tab thing is at the bottom.

Insert a pin or some sort, yes I used a sewing pin, into the hole as shown. You'll feel it stop. DON'T FORCE ANYTHING

Then GENTLY pry upwards while pulling the wire out.

Then gently remove the wire. Be very careful. These wires are pretty thin. To re-pin it you just push them in till you hear a click.

Finally, pics or it didn't happen right?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Awesome.
I'll leave this up for a while and after you've decided on anything else you'd like to add, I'd like to move it to the FAQ- that cool with you?

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Hey BossMan - nice work!
I think the data stream may be different though - your FI codes shouldn't come on unless in dealer mode - does it switch in & out of that?
The temp signal from ECM is actually more than the temp - it is whole datastream that conatins the FI, TPS and temp all one one bus.
Interesting that the FI light is out though in your pics yet you had errors come up.
Did the temp seem 'normal'? it should have had bars when first started up, then come on at about 70 deg, then climb up from there. It's a hexadecimal stream that the temp (and error codes etc) is computed from.
The illumination would have nothing to do with the FI errors.

It's certainly a LOT closer than the TL - maybe it will still come around!

Also that comment on TLZone about the 750 vs 600/1000 I don't believe is correct. Therre was no validation to that & there's nothing I can see that would make it any different (other than the indicated red-lines on the display)

Speedo you can fix with a speed-healer - expensive unfortunately, but not much you can do there.
The difference will GSXR final drive ratio plus difference in front to rear tire sizes Ithink it will be less than 40%, no?
You could always try 10 magnets - might get you close. Messy though - will probably have to bite bullet on the speed-healer

Again, nice job!

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey BossMan - nice work!
I think the data stream may be different though - your FI codes shouldn't come on unless in dealer mode - does it switch in & out of that?
The temp signal from ECM is actually more than the temp - it is whole datastream that conatins the FI, TPS and temp all one one bus.
Interesting that the FI light is out though in your pics yet you had errors come up.
Did the temp seem 'normal'? it should have had bars when first started up, then come on at about 70 deg, then climb up from there. It's a hexadecimal stream that the temp (and error codes etc) is computed from.
The illumination would have nothing to do with the FI errors.

It's certainly a LOT closer than the TL - maybe it will still come around!

Also that comment on TLZone about the 750 vs 600/1000 I don't believe is correct. Therre was no validation to that & there's nothing I can see that would make it any different (other than the indicated red-lines on the display)

Speedo you can fix with a speed-healer - expensive unfortunately, but not much you can do there.
The difference will GSXR final drive ratio plus difference in front to rear tire sizes Ithink it will be less than 40%, no?
You could always try 10 magnets - might get you close. Messy though - will probably have to bite bullet on the speed-healer

Again, nice job!
Speedo - yeah I assumed a speedo healer would be in order. They go for around $100 I think.

The temp seems to be correct. It displays correctly but then the fi light will come on and it'll throw a code. It just randomly switches back and forth.

I figured the temp (I'm calling it that even though it's so much more to simplify) would be the only thing that may not work. I'll have to do some more research. One of the codes given was C43, which I couldn't find in the manual.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bossman do you think this would work on the 1st gen??? I love the idea
For the 1st gen you should be able to get the tach, speedo, turn signals, oil light, and neutral light no problem.

The only issues may be the fuel light and the temperature read out.

I bet the fuel will work though.

there may be an issue with the lights being incandescent as opposed to LED's, but I don't think it will matter.

If you want to try it, I'll be happy to help.

Edit: Z says that he tried 2nd gen gauges on a 1st gen and the tach never worked right. So that might not work either.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Awsome!!! Who da man? You da man! ;)

I tried this on my '03 a while back (also 01 GSXR750 gauges) but they turned out to either be dead or I cooked them first try. I'm glad you got it working... but I'm still curious if it will work on the 03/04.

I am a mechanical engineer, not electrical.
You know what they say about electrical engineers? They have no potential ;D

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awsome!!! Who da man? You da man! ;)

I tried this on my '03 a while back (also 01 GSXR750 gauges) but they turned out to either be dead or I cooked them first try. I'm glad you got it working... but I'm still curious if it will work on the 03/04.

You know what they say about electrical engineers? They have no potential ;D
ha ha. ;)

Yeah I don't know. I'd like to try with the 03-04, but I don't have one. What order did you try for the wires?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was pondering alternate gauges, but did not want to give up the dealer code reader.

I bet Soliton could make you a micro based signal modifier to display the codes correctly, and adjust the speedometer.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
If you're looking for something to decode the FI codes, then I've got you covered:

https://github.com/synfinatic/sv650ecu

The hardware & software are full open source so you can edit to taste.

As for the speedo, that should be ok I think. The pink/white wire is the speedo and that reads directly off the front wheel which should be the same on both bikes I think. Tire sizes should be basically the same.

The brown/black is the Tachometer. If I recall correctly, on the SV it's driven at actual RPM, not by spark firing. No idea how it is on the GSXR, but should be pretty obvious if it's way off.

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
.... As for the speedo, that should be ok I think. The pink/white wire is the speedo and that reads directly off the front wheel which should be the same on both bikes I think. Tire sizes should be basically the same.....
The speed sender on the GSXR is off the output shaft so the scale will be waaaayyy off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts