26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Please give me your opinions on this

Our current rim combination / tyre race setup is :

Pirelli Super Corsa's SC 2 back and front
Standard SV - 3.5 inch front rim using a 120/70/17
Suzuki GSX R 600 - 5.5 inch rear rim using a 180/55/17

Have any of you racing guys used this combination yet .. please give me your opinions .. I am wondering how the standard SV back rim - 4.5 inches using a 160/60/17 performs in comparison due to the diffent profile

Lastly what would your opinion be on fitting a 180/60/17 ( higher profile) onto the GSX R rear rim .. and going up one tooth on the rear sprocket to compensate for the larger tyre ?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I refuse to open this can of worms. Do a quick search buddy. You will find this topic has been heavily debated.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
180 last much much longer, thats best gain.

I cant tell much of a difference between the 2 when riding.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I prefer the 160, but swiest is right. The 180 will last longer, and you have a better selection of tires to choose from. For "real" endurance racing, 180 for sure.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Another option is the 5.5 GSXR rim with 165 slicks. Dunlop and Bridgestone still make them.

The Dunlop 165 is a UK tire so it is pricey....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Up here we have always run SC1 Front with SC2 rear. Our temps never get as high as yours down south so maybe thats why. The fronts last forever so I can't imagine how long a SC2 would last.
The difference between a 160 to a 180/55 is 2 teeth. The difference between 180/55 to 180/60 is almost another 2 teeth. I couldn't beleive it untill I measured it. On a first gen a 180/60 leaves about 1mm clearance to the swingarm depending how far back your axle is. Can'tfit warmers. Not sure about a 2nd gen?
I had thought about running 180/60's untillI compaired them to the 180/55. The 60is a very big tire. Bigger in every dimemsion than the older 190. Alot heavier as well,so as long as 180/55's are available I will be running them.

FYI I was talking to Kevin Graham acouple of weeks back at the nationals to confirm compounds and 180/55 DOT's use the same compounds as current 180/60's but the 180/55 slicks are still the older compounds. So if you notice differences this may be why.

He indicated 180/55's are sold as soon as he gets them in. I know I had to wait a month to get some this year, so order early.

I don't notice a big difference in feel between 160's and 180/55's. It's just a bit more planted and doesn't squirm as much as 160's on corner exit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How hard is it to convert a gen 1 to use a gsxr rear wheel and what year rim should i look for. I want to convert for ease of finding tires.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Up here we have always run SC1 Front with SC2 rear. Our temps never get as high as yours down south so maybe thats why. The fronts last forever so I can't imagine how long a SC2 would last.
Well this thread is about the rears, so this is just a side note, but I made the switch to the SC2 front a year or two ago. Grip is just as good as the SC1 but the tire is a little stiffer, I feel that it gives a little more feedback, it retains its shape a little better & lasts a little longer. Most of the other SV guys are now running the SC2 front at Loudon as well.

As always, your mileage may vary. Tracks, bikes, riders, riding styles all differ and may require different compounds.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
the sc2 slick last forever too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts