Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why? Uh, because it's there, I guess.... ;D

Fun project, but like others have mentioned, full of minor "gotchas" here and there. Thanks to all the members for posting their own experiences with similar projects, very helpful indeed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very nicely done, and S is the way to go for these swaps, really simplifies the fabrication!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
love the gold tubes and calipers deffinetly sets it apart. deffinetly want to know how it rides.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Beautiful job. Love those gold calipers and fork tubes. Makes me jones bad though....I'm waiting for a pair of frickin' dust seals from ronayers.com before I can mount the front wheel and go for a ride. :'(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey, that looks like mine! :eek:

Nice Job! ;D

·
Registered
81 Posts
what are the particulars involved with the swap. year used, wheel /axle, speedo is gixxer? how much had the front dropped since install. stock sv master for those sweet calipers? sorry for the ?? but I am very interested in doing this mod. was everything from ebay??and cost please.
thanks,
Les

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

I've gotten precious little seat time since doing the swap, and none of that has been on the roads I like to ride. (Read: twisty backroads.) However, initial impressions are quite good. The front end just plain works now, i.e. it feels like a bike with proper suspension actually doing something other than getting beat up passively by the road. I wish those SV owners who have never ridden anything but the SV on stock suspenders could get a chance to ride a bike with decent suspension- that experience would no doubt give some perspective on just how poor the SV's legs are as stock. (For the price point, I understand it, but the bike is such a joy to romp on that it deserves better suspension bits.)

I've added a couple lines of preload from full out and set the reb/comp adjusters to halfway through their ranges just as a starting point- so far so good. Additional riding will no doubt yield some further tweaking- but really, that's the true beauty of the swap, adjustability.

In regards to other "gotchas":

These of course depend a lot on your individual capability to improvise, self-source, and willingness to open the wallet. The little things that crept up on me, might not be an issue for you and vice versa. There's just too many variables as there are a lot of different permutations of parts that you choose to use for your swap.

For my swap, I bought a nearly complete '04 GSX-R 1000 front end. It had everything but the fender. Being nearly complete was key to me as I didn't want to spend the time searching for components here and there, wondering about their compatibilty. Plus, on the '03 and up SVs, the steering head bearings are the same part number as many of the GSX-Rs of the same years. So that part, the actual bolting up of the GSXR triples to the SV's head is truly a piece of cake. It's the least of the issues on the second generation models.

Upon receipt of the front end form the seller, I found that both fork seals were leaking. I planned to rework the forks anyway, but there's some time and money there. To make the fork rebuild efficient, I bought a few cartridge fork tools from Traxxion, and since having used them, can confidently say that they are indispensable. So that was some cost as well. I had the front wheel with a fairly good tire on it, but it didn't match the rear Dunlop, so I got a new front tire. The SVs clutch perch required a minute or so on my grinding wheel to make it slide up the GSXR clip-on a little further. There were a few sockets I needed to buy. Etc., etc., etc. Stuff like that.

But for the most part, and excluding the speedo sensor mod, it's about as close to a bolt on as you're going to get I think. If you budget carefully, I think you can do it for under $900. I'm sure people more resourceful than I could do it for much less. I could have used the old tire that was already on the GSXR wheel. I could have got a slightly scratched fender off of eBay, and I could have refinished or bought a new OEM top clamp- but I opted not to. I'm sure I could have saved some in tools if I already had that stuff as well. YMMV indeed.

So, the exact BOM for my bike's swap looks something like this:

Lower triple, stem, bearings, fork legs, wheel, calipers, rotors, brake hoses, and master cylinder are from the GSXR 1K I got off of eBay.

Top triple is from Vortex. (Only because it's cheaper than an OEM top clamp by a good bit....)

Brake resevoir and lever are from my SV.

Front fender, a handful of screws, fork seals, speed sensor and speed rotor are from Ron Ayers.

Tire, PJ1 fork oil, and speed bleeders from Dennis Kirk.

Fork rebuild tools are from Traxxion. (In my opinion, a must-have unless you're a competent fabricator...or choose not to rebuild your donor forks...)

Misc. tools from Sears and Harbor Freight. If you opt for the countershaft speedo conversion, don't waste your time with HSS bits. Cobalt bits are really the only way to go when drilling the countershaft out. And cheap taps are just that, cheap.

Ultimately, I'm pleased. It's functional and looks great. I'm fairly sure I won't run into an SV quite like mine anytime soon, so there's that unique-ness factor. Mostly though, it was a fun project and there's pride in doing the job by yourself.

·
Registered
419 Posts
SICK MAN! I'm so glad to see people using the speedo sensor mod. It's not that hard to do and you never have to mess with it again. What did you set your speedo healer to? I think mine was like 62.5% or something like that...

Looks killer!

·
Registered
830 Posts
looks awesome!!

but i hate to rain on your parade.. you're not done yet.

the next thing that will start bothering you is this.
- that front fairing covers up most of your pimpy forks.

You'll have to get rid of all the plastic up front. what you'll soon realize is that a dual headlight would look really amazing nestled in those beefy forks.

at least that's what I realized after i put on a GSXR 1000 front end.
i'm currently wasting tons of money getting rid of more plastic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Red-

Thanks man. I found your tutorial invaluable. Much appreciated.

Nearly the same, mine was 61% total, with a SH value of like 37.9%. I used the "precise" online calculator as I checked my actual speed against displayed with my GPS over a few miles.

Pretty funny seeing 105 on the meter and you're really only doing 65 mph..... ;D

I am a bit paranoid about that speed rotor bolt backing out on me, so I'm going to check it again this weekend. I used a copious amount of loctite, and I was able to torque it down pretty good- but I still can;t shake the feeling that it's going to go flying right off of there! Probably going to take me a little while to get used to the idea of it and then ultimately forget about it....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yellow650 said:
looks awesome!!

but i hate to rain on your parade.. you're not done yet.

the next thing that will start bothering you is this.
- that front fairing covers up most of your pimpy forks.
lol!

Yeah, you're probably right. It never really ends, does it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just a small thought. It looks great but in my opinion a little offset wit gold. I would put gold rim tape on front and back. Just my 2 cents...but ur bike does look amazing and how do u like ur cycle cat stand.(think thats what it is)

·
Registered
653 Posts
yellow650 said:
this is the only way i'm happy now:

Hey Yellow, looks great.

Is that your own version of a fork stop mounted on the upper part of the frame just behind the headtube? I'm looking for ideas.

·
Registered
830 Posts
algreen said:
Hey Yellow, looks great.

Is that your own version of a fork stop mounted on the upper part of the frame just behind the headtube? I'm looking for ideas.
Thanks. No.. that's just a mouinting bracket for some huge horns i've added. I don't have any turn stops. that might be dangerous, but haven't figured anything out. My brother wrapped the upper forks (between the tripples) with some rubber tubing so at least there's some sort of protection on the forks when they go to full turn. i'm thining of installing the GSXR steering damper to cut down on any catastrophic tank slappers with no turn stoppers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dom said:
It looks great but in my opinion a little offset wit gold. I would put gold rim tape on front and back.
You're kidding, right? ;D

Yeah, it's a Cycle Cat rear stand. The thing is sweet, and total freaking overkill for the light SV, but almost a must for the real low swingarm spool position and raw tonnage of this thing:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts