Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SV battery caught fire recently. There'd been some electrical issues prior, but I thought I got them all. 300 miles on a new battery, drove it maybe 15 miles if I'm being super generous. Get home and there's smoke coming up from under the seat. Like more than I was comfortable dismissing as steam from riding in the rain down dirt roads through puddles the last 30 min. Battery starts burning as the seat cover comes off. It's ALMOST fucking round when I get it out (with welding gloves and the biggest sets of dogs I've got).

Can I swap in a rec from an '85 Shadow VT700, 04 GS500F, 03 Polaris Predator 500.... I've got a Yami Warrior, POSSIBLY a spare YFZ450 quad that may or may not be junk and may or not be accessible... I have a Yami Bear Tracker and Polaris 6x6 as well I can borrow from. But the GS500 and the Predators are in my garage, and I need something fast. My Jeep rolled Saturday and I'm stranded and am desperate because of appointments and work today, my usual ride just bailed on me last minute and I've got an hour to do this. Wiring is not a concern, just will it hold up a couple weeks until I find one online off an F1 or GSXR???

·
Registered
797 Posts
Huh, I just replied to your old thread about this, I see you're still in the same boat. I can't speak to the '85 Shadow for certain, but I think it's the same pos style that came on the SV originally. It is certainly not a fix, but will it work?? Maybe... I can say that I cooked a charging system on my '95 Shadow due to its own faulty r/r and made the swap to a mosfet r/r which fixed it up right.
You have an hour (or half an hour now). I'm guessing you're giving it a shot. Good luck!

·
very big dumb
9,026 Posts
pretty much any RR will work. but if you can get a series style (or at least mosfet style) you'll have a better end result.
RRs are simple. 3 wires in (orientation doesnt matter) and 2 wires out (go direct to battery instead of into the harness)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts