Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm dead-set on getting an SV650S this summer to replace my little GS500E. I'm having the hardest time choosing between the first and second gens though. The first gens are carbed and thus there isn't any of that hideous FI whirring noise that I find really makes a bike sound like a sewing machine... I really don't like the looks of the first gen plastics though. If I were to buy a first gen SV650S and take the stock fairing off are their any options similar to the second gen plastics? I've seen several fairings but none really appeal other then custom jobbies it seems. Purchasing a first gen would save me about $1000 I'd estimate, could I find a GSX-R fairing that would go on with relative ease?

Additionally, I've never been able to actually ride a second gen, just listen (in person). What is the sound like when riding? Are there any major advantages other then the good looks of the second gens that would possibly make suffering the FI noises worth it?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
ehh...I think they sound great and if your sewing machine is powered by a V-twin then it might just sound like it... :p

(I haven't heard any such noise from a fuel injected bike)

to clarify I haven't ridden a second gen, but I've recently ridden next to one and it sounded fairly similar to mine...a bit louder thanks to a yoshimura pipe.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The only time you'll notice it's fuel injected is the priming of the fuel pump before you thumb the starter.

Oh, you'll also notice when it starts every time no matter the temperature, humidity or altitude.

You can't hear the injectors on the SV like you would on a quiet car.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
The first gen frames are prettier naked (round tubes vs geometric), but the 2nd gen engines and FI are much better IMO. I have an '03 and dont notice any whirring while riding, but that may be because I punched the pipe out of the can so I could hear her sing.......

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I have a first gen but I wish sometimes that I didnt have to deal with adjusting the carbs. As for the second gens, I think they look nasty with full after market fairing. Then again I have a first gen and I just finished buttoning up a full fairing on it.

Honestly I wish I had both. My next bike will be a sv1000 with full fairings!

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I'm still not getting this "sewing machine" sound out of my bike, and it's got stock exhaust. Is there some kind of upgrade I need to buy? ::)

If it sounds like crap, it's probably because you haven't gotten it up to where it's happy. I think it's got a nice growl over 6500. If you're looking for that high-pitched bumble-bee sound... good luck. It's a V-Twin.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
I have a 1st gen and when it was stock, I often described the sound of it as "a farting sewing machine." New exhaust - problem solved. As far as adjusting the carbs goes, do it right and you shouldn't have to ever do it again.
Listen closely enough to almost any FI bike and you can hear the fuel pump and injectors. But once you're underway, you'd be hard pressed to hear it over the wind noise and extra RPM. Add an exhaust and you definitely won't hear it.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I have a hard time believe that you only have to adjust the carbs once and you never have to do it again. That sir is not true unless you have the perfect bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm no so much concerned with adjusting carbs, just the FI noise. Maybe its so noticable to me because I'm looking for the noise when I listen to the bike. I haven't heard one in person for many months, and even after spending a month without starting my GS she sounded pretty good to me haha. The one I did have was all stock though and I know how huge of a difference aftermarket cans make on my buddies I-4 bikes so I'm assuming a new slip-on for the SV would bring out a much lower and grumbly tone. I've been doing serches on the forum for sound clips of bikes with various aftermarket exhausts (the affordable ones only haha) and I'm not having much luck finding clips in which the bike is doing anything more then idling in a garage, most of them don't even work anymore or are horrible quality. Could anyone link me a few good clips of SV650 ride-bys? First or second gen.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, and everyone here most certainly will, but isn't that whirring sound you hear when you turn the key to "ON" the Fuel Pump and not the FI system? Is it even possible to hear Fuel Injection? I guess I just can't pick it up on my bike with the engine running. Point this out to me, please.

·
Registered
64 Posts
FI noise? You must be referring to the fuel pump buzz. You can't even hear that once the bike is running.

But you could invest in some ear plugs. That make all the weird noises go away.

·
Registered
254 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, and everyone here most certainly will, but isn't that whirring sound you hear when you turn the key to "ON" the Fuel Pump and not the FI system?  Is it even possible to hear Fuel Injection?  I guess I just can't pick it up on my bike with the engine running.  Point this out to me, please.
You are correct. That's just the fuel pump priming.

I know on some cars, that're quiet, you can hear injectors clicking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is definately a different sound to them when they're idling, even with the crappy internet video clips I can tell. I'm no so sure of the difference up above maybe 5-6k rpm or when they're maintaining speed though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts