Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to remove my rearset off my baby the other day.. and both of the 2 bigger allen bolts were stripped from the previous owner or something. I can't figure out how to get em out. any ideas?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Or if you are cheap and brave, get an allen key you don't care about that is a little too big for the bolt, hammer it in and pray the bolt breaks loose. I have done it with sockets, and I imagine it would work with an allen, but again, it could get sketchy.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If all else fails, you might be able to drill off the head of the bolts, remove the pegs and then use vice grips to back the threaded studs out - I think there would be enough shaft for the vice grips, maybe.

·
Banned
39 Posts
I usally use a star key that is slightly larger than the allen key tap it in gently, but firmly then usually twist bolt right out. Star key has more gripping points on the inside of the stripped hole than an allen key IMO. But that just me good luck

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
In addition to whatever bit you use to grip (I'd use a star), definitely use an impact driver to drive it out - invaluable.

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
So I went to remove my rearset off my baby the other day.. and both of the 2 bigger allen bolts were stripped from the previous owner or something. I can't figure out how to get em out. any ideas?
I'd be a little leery of using an EZ-out in this situation, if it breaks you're in deep do-do. IIRC those are 6mm Allens, try jamming a 1/4" socket drive Allen bit in there (or a slightly oversize Torx) and using a hand (hammer driven) impact on it. If that doesn't work drill the head off, pull the rearset plate off and use vice grips on the stub.

·
Registered
998 Posts
BAAAHHH.

mine did the same thing, buy a set of Left handed drill bits they drill and heat at the same time usually it comes right out by just drilling. If not you already have it hot for the EZ out.

I am serious mine did the same thing when I switched to adjustable rearsets. Took 3 minutes to find the bit and drill and fifteen seconds to get it out.

BTW I am a technician (auto) so I do know a thing or 2 about stripped bolts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts