Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

One of the few maintenance items I have not done to my bike is a fork oil change. I don't have a way to lift the bike and remove the forks to change the seals and oil. Besides even with all the guides here on how to do it, it's scary. I don't want to do it alone.... hold me...

Can anyone host in the LA area and we all just bring our parts and have a grand old time servicing each others (ahem) bikes. If someone has done it before and is experienced that would be cool.

I'd be more than happy to pitch in money to order pizza or something like that for the group and the host. On a nice weekend maybe, I'll start looking for my parts.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
It's not that difficult. You'll need a rear stand to support the rear of the bike, I just used some tie downs and looped them over some joists in my garage and hooked them to the handlebars. You need to remove the front wheel, the brake calipers, and the fender. I used a couple boxes and just set the calipers on them while the front end was off my bike. Once that is done just unbolt the 6 bolts that hold the fork tubes in and they will slide right out.

To drain them you have to unscrew the end caps on the top of the forks. Make sure you back the pre-load all the way off first and apply some downward pressure so they don't pop off and strip the threads as they get near the end, they are under pressure from the springs inside the fork tubes.

Once the end caps are off you can simply drain the forks into a suitable storage container. Installation is the reverse of removal. If you are planning on installing emulators and springs it gets a little more complicated but not too much.

Why are you wanting to change the fork oil and seals? Are they leaking? Is the front end too soft? If there is nothing wrong with it then you really don't need to change the fork oil unless your bike is really old and/or has a ton of miles on it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey SDRider, thanks for the reply. I was getting no love. Thanks for the detailed advice. There are also some really good threads that describe the procedure. I've been wanting to change my fork oil since it does feel a bit soft in front. There are no leaks but my bike is from 01 and I know it has not ever been changed. I'm sure I could do it but in my car port I can't hoist the front up. I might have to grab the drill and some anchors to rig something up.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
If you're going to do it I'd just do the springs and emulators at the same time.

How much do you weigh? If you're over 170lbs and have the stock springs it is probably a bit undersprung.

Again, if the seals aren't leaking there's no reason to replace them. They either leak or they don't.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hummm, maybe I'm being paranoid and think the bike needs it. There are no leaks at all. I'm 5'11" almost 200 lbs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I didn't use a rear stand....i lifted the bike with a scissor jack from my car and used a rod and some jack-stands (as described by a few threads on this board) to keep the bike from tipping to either side.

have you checked out the socalsvriders.org board?
where abouts LA are you?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey cynage, I am round the Los Feliz area. I have a scissor car jack so I might end up doing that or maybe set up something more permanent in the car port. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did my own Sonic spring upgrade with new oil and seals last weekend. There are lots of threads out there about the subject. But if someone has questions I can try to help. PM me.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
How long did it take you? I got some intiminators I need to install but not confident enought.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey LithiumSky, It took me just about 4 hours. I tried to prepare pretty well and took my time. I did it alone also which was the tough part. If your doing it alone a work bench with a vise would probably help a lot. I could not hoist the bike up in my car port but a rear stand to balance the bike and a scissor car jack under the engine was good enough.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
If you don't already have Motosliders installed, do that, first. That can be done with the bike on the ground.

Then you can lift the bike up with a scissors jack and prop it up with a pair of twenty-dollar jackstands on some bricks under the Motosliders. (It helps if you have a friend steady the bioke as you do this.)

Hummm, maybe I'm being paranoid and think the bike needs it. There are no leaks at all. I'm 5'11" almost 200 lbs.
Search SVR for "RICOR." Install their Intiminator valves with some fresh 5 wt fork oil. It will stiffen the front end and make it more stable. Simply changing the oil is not going to do much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts