Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I replaced my stock grips a few months back with progrips just for style, but I noticed since I started riding that my hands tend to go numb.

I think I may have posted about it, or maybe I read about someone else having the same issue, but I remember the consensus being that I was holding on too tight. Maybe I needed to use my core muscles, or grip the tank with my legs/knees.

Anyway, I decided that experience may solve the issue. It's been a few thousand miles now and it seems that no matter what I do my hands go numb after a half hour or so.

I'm fairly convinced that it's not an issue with tension or core muscle.

It's possible that it's an ergonomic problem, but I don't know what to do.

The only thing that is obvious is that 'regular' sport grips are too small in diameter for my hands. I have "piano" fingers, which is to say long and thin.

Anyone have any advice? Know of any grips that aren't cheesy chrome Harley accessories? Or maybe someone out there has also struggled with this and found a solution?

Thanks.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Either too much weight on the grips (although with a naked that's less usual than with an "S" model) or you're gripping the bars too tightly. Is it both hands or just your throttle hand? Try using a Throttle rocker (or there's a similar kind of thing) that will allow you to keep your palm open and still control the throttle. If that works (it's $10 and worth it) that tells you something.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mikey, I'm in Tulare.

Hmm... I dunno. I'm pretty tall and have a lot of bend in my arms. Not sure though about how much weight I'm putting on my hands. It's both hands, but more so my throttle. I actually have a throttle rocker that golden chicken gave me. I didn't like it when I first tried it, but that could have been inexperience causing the nervousness. I think I'll throw it back on and see how it feels now that my control is better.

So even if I/we figure this out I'm still gonna be uncomfortable with the skinny grips. :) advice welcome there too.

Oh btw, my S has stock N bars. It's a convert.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you remove the bar ends? The weighted bar ends help with the vibration. It's most likely a combination of gripping too tightly. I only have a bar end on the throttle side and I found that the clutch side vibrates a lot more at higher rpms than the throttle side when riding

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
You need grips on your tank. Let your knees and heels hang on to the bike and the bars are just a place to rest your paws.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need grips on your tank. Let your knees and heels hang on to the bike and the bars are just a place to rest your paws.
I think, ergonomically speaking, that I am having trouble doing this. I don't mean to come of sounding like some sort of monkey, but I just think my body is all wrong for the sv. That said, when I had the bike covered in plasti-dip I enjoyed the grip that the rubber texture lent to the tank. Maybe you're right... if only I could figure out where to get these magical devices you call tank grips. :p

As for bar end weights, no I don't have them. I replaced them with mirrors, but the mirrors are fairly heavy. They seem to quell vibes well enough. :dontknow:

The progrips don't feel any different to me than stock. The fact is, between my big hands and xl gloves I doubt my hands are even curling around the grip. I may just have my palms resting on them...

Sometimes I ride with my throttle hand open, palm down on the grip in order to alleviate the problem. This carries its own set of risks, obviously. I dunno.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Well there are thicker handlebars if you went that route.

1 1/8 vs 7/8 (stock) would be thicker. Not sure how the controls and everything mount, but I would assume you would need new bar clamps/risers and bar end weights.

I think those "fat" bars come with tapered ends, so the controls mount like normal.

Of course this isn't cheap.

Cheapest option is different grips. Foam or gel grips might help. You might even be able to find some grips that are 7/8 but just thicker so your hands can relax a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Try some Grip Puppies - about $10 at CaSportTouring. They are basically foam grips that slip-on over the standard grip and provide a bulkier grip to the rider. The foam helps lessen vibration and the bulkier feeling grip is just more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try some Grip Puppies - about $10 at CaSportTouring. They are basically foam grips that slip-on over the standard grip and provide a bulkier grip to the rider. The foam helps lessen vibration and the bulkier feeling grip is just more comfortable.
Riiiiight! I forgot about those. Not the most attractive option, but function over form in this case. Thanks man.

Fez~ those look good too. They don't look much bigger than stock, but they are eh?

One other thing. I've heard of people using cork wrap like bicyclists use. Anyone here have any experience with it? How does it wear, and are there any downsides?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have the Grip Puppies and have found them to be very useful in lessening the numbness.
Highly recommend them!

I do not grip my bars too tight and I do support my body with my core, but my throttle hand still tends to go numb. It seems to be the vibrating that does it; if I run at a lower RPM and have more vibration my hands go numb more rapidly.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Look up 'median nerve'....and I think you'll have your cause. All you have to do is NOT compress that area of your hand and the nerve won't make it go numb. There are gloves made with rubber pads that protect the nerve from compression that work pretty good...but if you already have a good set of gloves, just being aware of what part shouldn't be on the bars might be enough.

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/QwiSoln.html I've got a set of these (gauntlets) and they work very nicely if you want a mechanical device to stop the problem.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
+ another. Love them suckers. Great feel. Cheap. Easy install.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look up 'median nerve'....and I think you'll have your cause. All you have to do is NOT compress that area of your hand and the nerve won't make it go numb. There are gloves made with rubber pads that protect the nerve from compression that work pretty good...but if you already have a good set of gloves, just being aware of what part shouldn't be on the bars might be enough.

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/QwiSoln.html I've got a set of these (gauntlets) and they work very nicely if you want a mechanical device to stop the problem.
That's interesting. I don't think my wrists get anywhere near the grips, but I'll have to consider this the next time I ride.

My teknic gloves have knox scaphoid sliders (pucks) pretty much in the same area as the gel pads in the gloves you linked to and they definitely don't contact the grips. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
That's interesting. I don't think my wrists get anywhere near the grips, but I'll have to consider this the next time I ride.

My teknic gloves have knox scaphoid sliders (pucks) pretty much in the same area as the gel pads in the gloves you linked to and they definitely don't contact the grips. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong.
That pesky nerve goes through the palm of your hand too...which is where it contacts the grip. A throttle rocker works well if you use the edge of your hand and keep most of your palm off the grips. Perhaps it is God's way of saying 'light hold on the grips people'.:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
As for bar end weights, no I don't have them. I replaced them with mirrors, but the mirrors are fairly heavy. They seem to quell vibes well enough. :dontknow:
The vibration in my handlebars went up noticeably after installing crg hindsight mirrors and removing the stock bar end weights to fit the cheap plastic adapters. Since the mirror change I started getting minor numbness in my hands on 2+ hour rides.

I'm going to be picking up some new bar weights now that support the crg's...the rhino bar ends are the only ones I know of at the moment. I'll post here on how they help once I get them in a month or two.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts