Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now before you guys instantly label be a noob hear me out...so as some of you know, i got some new grips for my 02 sv and I've been having trouble taking the stock barends off (Past Thread) I've gotten a lot of responses from this forum (thanks guys) about how to get that stubborn thing off. Believe me, I've tried them all!!! I've tried regular screwdriver, hammering it with the screw driver in the screw, WD-40 the screw, and even bought a impact screwdriver for the damn thing...so after about 45 minutes of hammering the impact screwdriver in 93 degree weather and getting bite by bugs all over...I finally gave up on it (as of this point, the screws where all stripped from all my previous attempts). The damn thing just wouldn't budge!!! Suzuki must have dumped on the locktite on this screw (which logically makes no sense, its just a barend). Just as I was about to just suck it up and deal with the stock bar end with the stripped screw, I had an idea  ;D I had a drill in my car and some metal bits MUAHAHAHHAHA!!! So i took a drill to the damn screw and drilled a hole straight through the damn screw all the way till it got WAY inside it, making it a hollow screw. Then I twisted and turned the barend till it just popped right off (breaking half the screw) After that its just a matter of taking a wrench to the remaining half still locktited into the handle bars. The story doesn't end here...on my right handle bar, I tried to do the same thing, only this time, the damn screw refuse to break!!! Took me about another 30 minutes of pulling and WD-40ing with no luck...So I basically got pissed off and took a drill bit the size of the screw and chewed up the screw head!!! HAHAHHAHAHA!!! Victory? Hell no!!!  :mad: The other half of the screw is now stuck in the bars, only this time, its stuck A HELL OF A LOT BETTER THEN THE LAST!!! My hands where red and raw from gripping the wrench so tight!!! So I again got pissed off at it and took a smaller drill bit and drilled a hole straight through the remaining part of the left over screw till I hit bottom!!! Stuck the WD-40 straw into it and sprayed. Then the screw finally came off without any resistance...All of this took me about a little over 3 hours  :'( Finally got the custom grips on there...now I gotta go and find a new screw to put the stock bar ends back on till I buy me some custom shiny ones  8) Here's some pics! And if any of you guyz are having troubles with your barends, PM me and I'll let you know just what to do!!! Save you self the pain and the time I spent trying to figure it out...Oh and I got flush mounts for front and rear turn signals  ;) God this bike is getting sexi...can't wait till my high mount scorpion exhaust gets here  ;D

Whats left of the screw after I got done with it...

Straight through the Screw head

The stubborn half broken screw that refused to come out

The end results  ;D

Time for some new barends...

N

·
0 Posts
If you choose a drill bit that's slightly larger than the diameter of the screw the head will pop off as soon as you get past the countersink, leaving you a solid piece of steel to work with.

:)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Don't sweat it. I had the same thing happen when trying to take off my left side bar end. I used every too I had and still had a hell of a time.......but finally, after drilling, EZ outing, sawzalling, and finally an air grinder and vice grips for the screw nub that was left, I got it out. Thank goodness the new bar ends came with screws. LOL

·
Registered
330 Posts
Great job drilling right down the center. I'll put this up as a reminder to anyone drilling a screw to center punch the screw so the drill don't walk and screw up the threads. One other tip on removing locktited screws is to apply some heat to them. Softens up the locktite real quick. Sorry I missed the previous thread to offer up the advice before hand.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hmm... I've got the reverse problem.... I took my barends out to change grips, and now cannot get the damn things to stay in! The rubber piece that goes in the bar will not stay in! Should I glue the damn thing or what?

ehhhh... sorry for the thread-jack.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Mizatt said:
Hmm... I've got the reverse problem.... I took my barends out to change grips, and now cannot get the damn things to stay in! The rubber piece that goes in the bar will not stay in! Should I glue the damn thing or what?

ehhhh... sorry for the thread-jack.
Make sure the nut didn't fall off the back of the rubber insert. If the bar end is whole all you should have to do is screw it down to a tight fit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Regarding bar ends and Loctite: Bar ends are there to dampen vibration to the grips so they absorb a lot of vibration which is the enemy of a threaded fastener. Without the Loctite the screws would loosen and the bar end would fall out. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the drilling of the screw created a lot of heat :-D I saw smoke coming out of the hole..and the metal shavings that landed on my arm kinda burned a little :-D I think it was the heat that made the bar end mobile enough for me to pull on them...

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Weird, I wonder if it's a first-gen thing, I just replaced my grips, it took about 15 minutes. I used one of those little drill bit screw-driver tips, made sure it fit the screw perfectly, put it in a 1/4" socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet, pushed real hard while turning the ratchet and they came right out.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
now just hope you got the throttle grip on good enough that it doesn't rub the barend when its replaced... that's another PITA. I thought mine were on as far inward as I could slide them and had about 1/8" too much overhang on the outside of grip. Had to trim it a little and I added a washer to the barend to give throttle some clearance. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Liutas said:
Weird, I wonder if it's a first-gen thing, I just replaced my grips, it took about 15 minutes. I used one of those little drill bit screw-driver tips, made sure it fit the screw perfectly, put it in a 1/4" socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet, pushed real hard while turning the ratchet and they came right out.
nope its not jsut first gen... I had no problems getting my barends off my 01... just first must start with the right size tipped screwdirver or screw tip because once they start stripping... its harder and harder to get them out. Ideally an impact driver should be used first probably.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
holy crap, I just put the same grips on my '03... I love 'em.  :)

(I had a bit of trouble with the throttle side as it kept getting caught on the lip on the end... it kept moving the inside of the grip and scraping up the text... still turned out well though)

:)

ETA image:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts