Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a week or so ago I lowsided on in the kettle moraine in WI and finally got the time to throw up some pics. I have a bunch more but I felt like there sumed it all up. I ended up claiming the bike and getting back the average of blue book values (Nada, KBB and Clymer I believe he said). I couldnt find my original post with the description of the accident so I can reanswer any questions that you guys and gals have. So enjoy, or cry whichever suit you, ha. Oh and by the way, Im looking to purchase another 1st gen so any sellers give me a buzz.

This was the final resting place...

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Damn! You all right ??? Look at that tank! How fast were you going around that turn?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
looks like all you need is some plastics, tail and a new front end? check around, people are always upgrading to gsxr front ends so this may be a good time to get their old stuff or u urself get a gsxr front end...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After I took the pics I went to remove the sliders etc and saw that the frame was cracked in 2 places on the upper right of the bike (the one area most of the pics dont show). So that pushed me to simply total the bike. I was between 30 and 40 mph and there was no speed sign for the turn where there had been one for every sharp turn before that. Yea I think the tank nailed the tree which caused the huge amount of damage on the left side (you can see a good chunk of bark missing in the first pic). I came out with a minorly rashed right hand because I wasnt wearing proper gloves. Other than that just some soreness the couple days following. No one believes I got away with such little injuries after looking at the bike, I definitely got lucky in that sense. Sadly the bike had to make a B-line for that tree..

I would have had to replace the front end, tank, frame, plastics, pegs. So in the end I think it payed to claim it in. If not then I think it would be pretty close.

·
Registered
93 Posts
No! not another one of the dark army... :'( :'( :'( :'( hate to see those black bikes follow suit of the reds.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Only 30 or 40mph, looks like that turn can be made easily at that speed.
Or is that how fast you were going once you slowed down?

I would like to hear how you went down.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
KancerKid said:
No! not another one of the dark army... :'( :'( :'( :'( hate to see those black bikes follow suit of the reds.
damn 1st gens and their tree hunting

·
Registered
93 Posts
Seriously! what is this neverending first gen VS. forestry war all about? who fired the first shot? was it red sv boy?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
what do you think was the root cause of you low siding??

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im guessing that I actually entered the turn at low 30's mph. I went in and leaned, countersteered etc to the right i felt my foot peg scratch and then seemingly without any warning, my bike was on it side and I was tumbling. I had suspected gravel because of the immediate change in rear tire traction. I have scraped my pegs before and never did my tire do anything suspicious. For the record the tires were Z6's with about 4000 miles on them and plenty of tread left. I was told by the homeowner of whos yard I crashed into, that a bunch of the turns on the road I was on are notorious for gravel. When I went and looked for myself there was small traces of some but nothing that would seem that dangerous. There was no rear braking involved so that couldnt have had any influence either. Mysterious gravel or just plain leaning the thing over too much is all I can come up with. :-\

Also the road pic that indicates where the bike landed is slightly into the turn, so it is a bit sharper than what one would get from the pics. It was hard to capture the entire turn and the approach in the pics.

·
Registered
796 Posts
glad to hear ur ok. live to ride again.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Glad your'e okay. Sorry about the bike. It looks like the rear tire is seriously flat spotted. Do you think that had anything to do with it? Not sure if it would or not but I know my bike gets squirrley when the tire is flatted from commuting so much.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Dryer said:
Im guessing that I actually entered the turn at low 30's mph. I went in and leaned, countersteered etc to the right i felt my foot peg scratch and then seemingly without any warning, my bike was on it side and I was tumbling. I had suspected gravel because of the immediate change in rear tire traction. I have scraped my pegs before and never did my tire do anything suspicious. For the record the tires were Z6's with about 4000 miles on them and plenty of tread left. I was told by the homeowner of whos yard I crashed into, that a bunch of the turns on the road I was on are notorious for gravel. When I went and looked for myself there was small traces of some but nothing that would seem that dangerous. There was no rear braking involved so that couldnt have had any influence either. Mysterious gravel or just plain leaning the thing over too much is all I can come up with. :-\

Also the road pic that indicates where the bike landed is slightly into the turn, so it is a bit sharper than what one would get from the pics. It was hard to capture the entire turn and the approach in the pics.
Too much lean angle leading to peg tripoding..OK, thanks. I am conducting a study and the data is appreciated. I plan to use statistical analysis later to see trends and what not.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts