Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
'07 SV650S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR - Hi. Been riding and wrenching for a while, just got an SV650S, needs work, looking to learn the nuances of the platform.

Hello all. Happy to be here. Just wanted to do a little intro on me and why I'm here.

I've been riding motorcycles on the street for 25 years and doing track days for the last 10. I've had a bunch of bikes over those years and seem to always come back to Suzuki. I've got a bunch of bikes right now but am here because of the '07 SV650S I picked up last October. I do all my own maintenance, repairs and modifications; or at least as much as I can without owning a dyno for fuel tuning so I have a habit of buying derelict bikes for next to nothing and bringing them back to life. This brought me and the SV together.

Bike had been sitting for over 4 years, had no battery and the PO didn't have many answers to my questions. I bought it anyway and brought it home. It had a seized fuel pump but no big deal, I had 2 spares on the shelf. After the swap and some good gas she runs pretty ok. Well enough to ride it a bit and learn the suspension really is THAT bad, the brakes suck and that I should have gotten a V-twin a LONG time ago. The need to repair these things has brought me here.

After lots and lots of searching and reading and searching and reading I found a very comprehensive thread on doing a GSX-R front suspension swap on this bike. It's even better than the videos I found on YouTube. So, in order to more easily find that thread again and to learn more tips and tricks about this bike I figured I should sign up and here I am.

Anyway, I hope to learn more and maybe even become a useful member of the community.

· Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,759 Posts
Welcome to SVR. It sounds like you have a rich motorcycle history. Looking forward to your project and input. Have fun.

· Registered
6,244 Posts
TL;DR - Hi. Been riding and wrenching for a while, just got an SV650S, needs work, looking to learn the nuances of the platform.

Hello all. Happy to be here. Just wanted to do a little intro on me and why I'm here.

I've been riding motorcycles on the street for 25 years and doing track days for the last 10. I've had a bunch of bikes over those years and seem to always come back to Suzuki. I've got a bunch of bikes right now but am here because of the '07 SV650S I picked up last October. I do all my own maintenance, repairs and modifications; or at least as much as I can without owning a dyno for fuel tuning so I have a habit of buying derelict bikes for next to nothing and bringing them back to life. This brought me and the SV together.

Bike had been sitting for over 4 years, had no battery and the PO didn't have many answers to my questions. I bought it anyway and brought it home. It had a seized fuel pump but no big deal, I had 2 spares on the shelf. After the swap and some good gas she runs pretty ok. Well enough to ride it a bit and learn the suspension really is THAT bad, the brakes suck and that I should have gotten a V-twin a LONG time ago. The need to repair these things has brought me here.

After lots and lots of searching and reading and searching and reading I found a very comprehensive thread on doing a GSX-R front suspension swap on this bike. It's even better than the videos I found on YouTube. So, in order to more easily find that thread again and to learn more tips and tricks about this bike I figured I should sign up and here I am.

Anyway, I hope to learn more and maybe even become a useful member of the community.
Couple of things:

The stock brakes aren't fundamentally bad. They do need better pads (I like the Vesrah RJLs) and stainless lines help. And of course fresh fluid and a good bleed job.

The GSXR swap isn't the be all/end all. Good straight rate springs in the proper rate for your weight and riding plus oil to match will go a looooong way towards making the front end better.
The rear can be made somewhat better with one of the OEM shock swaps, or a lot better with a Penke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts