Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Been lurking around here for a few months now and got my license/sv650 '01 back in October. Great to have finally signed up for the forums.

The driving in and out of DC is pretty brutal traffic wise. Any daily commuters out there that have tips for riding in traffic? Or should I avoid that all together? Seems like overheating is an issue with traffic riding, but I'll like to keep my bike running throughout the winter.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, the traffic here is pretty killer. I try to avoid the interstates, especially during rush hour traffic. The side roads are better, even if they aren't as direct...just watch out for deer during rut season.

Are you overheating? Check the fan to ensure it's not sticking, that it's getting power, and maybe check your fluid levels (maybe refresh the fluid if you haven't done that as scheduled.

The year before last, I rode through most of the winter and had a blast. I'd ride as long as it wasn't below 30 degrees, it wasn't wet, and there wasn't the chance of ice/snow. I didn't ride from last Nov to maybe this July (got a new car and was enjoying that most of the year). I'm ready to give it another shot this year, but will need to invest in some wet weather gear. I've got some cases that I can now use to tote my work things and spare clothing.

Where are you located? You're using your bike to commute to work and back?

Oh, and there's a few threads where the locals here tend to post the most:

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87965 -- North East Region - ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD, DC, PA

http://www.svrider.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40 -- South East Region - KY, WV, VA, TN, NC, AL, GA, SC, FL
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129739 -- Titled "Any NOVA riders? "

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great links! Definitely checking them out when I get home later.

I actually just drive the local roads from College Park to SW DC. 12 miles take me almost a hour...I'm becoming more skeptical about riding to and from as local routes and Balti-Wash parkway gets packed...

Honestly i left my bike alone for a couple weeks, and may need to replace the battery. SO I have a bit of work to do on it...And I am in the market for cold gear as well, though the weather this past week has been relatively nice during the day.

Last winter was so warm. I work at a steam plant and it actually put us in the hole by $4 million since there was no reason to produce steam to heat buildings up...thus no business..

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Greetings. I ride in Florida and sometimes get stuck in traffic. The only time I ever had a problem with my SV overheating, was when I dropped it and damaged the radiator. Just make sure your coolant is reasonably fresh.

If you're concerned about the reliability of your cooling system (thermostat controlled fan), there is a test for it outlined in the factory service manual. (It's probably not necessary.) You should be fine.

I am generally not a fan of riding in traffic; best advice is ride defensively.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also a new forum member from the DMV- I commute in occasionally- more of a weekend warrior, myself. When I do ride in, the HOVs are nice (if applicable to you), and I give myself plenty of time (more than I would if I were driving my car) because I want to enjoy the city driving as opposed to dread it. I also know there's good street motorcycle parking on C St SW @ 12th that charges .50/hr unlike some bike meters which rip you off and are set at the normal car rates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, the traffic here is pretty killer. I try to avoid the interstates, especially during rush hour traffic. The side roads are better, even if they aren't as direct...just watch out for deer during rut season.

Are you overheating? Check the fan to ensure it's not sticking, that it's getting power, and maybe check your fluid levels (maybe refresh the fluid if you haven't done that as scheduled.

The year before last, I rode through most of the winter and had a blast. I'd ride as long as it wasn't below 30 degrees, it wasn't wet, and there wasn't the chance of ice/snow. I didn't ride from last Nov to maybe this July (got a new car and was enjoying that most of the year). I'm ready to give it another shot this year, but will need to invest in some wet weather gear. I've got some cases that I can now use to tote my work things and spare clothing.

Where are you located? You're using your bike to commute to work and back?

Oh, and there's a few threads where the locals here tend to post the most:

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87965 -- North East Region - ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD, DC, PA

http://www.svrider.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40 -- South East Region - KY, WV, VA, TN, NC, AL, GA, SC, FL
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129739 -- Titled "Any NOVA riders? "
Thx Unix I will check out these threads too. Im in Alexandria btw. Maybe we can get a DMV group ride going in the spring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm also a new forum member from the DMV- I commute in occasionally- more of a weekend warrior, myself. When I do ride in, the HOVs are nice (if applicable to you), and I give myself plenty of time (more than I would if I were driving my car) because I want to enjoy the city driving as opposed to dread it. I also know there's good street motorcycle parking on C St SW @ 12th that charges .50/hr unlike some bike meters which rip you off and are set at the normal car rates.
That's actually where I work! Check it, steam billowing off the roof from the building across the street.

·
Registered
276 Posts
howdy! i'm way out west of you guys but if you ever plan a ride out this way. :) which you should... hahahaa. i know plenty of great roads and am a "reasonable" rider. i don't have to go fast to enjoy.

anyways, i've got about an hour commute at 70+mph so i've kind of packed in the SV for winter commuting. if i lived closer to work/could take slower roads, i would. i work in manassas. although next week will probably be decent. lows in the high 30's, low 40's..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts