Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got my SV 650 last Tuesday and have not had a chance to ride it. Today with it being 70 something degrees I got it out for the maiden voyage.

I rode about 100miles up around the mountain/river roads where I live. Around the Ocoee river if anyone is near southeast TN and knows where thats at.

First off, this is my second bike and am making the jump from a 2000 Ninja 250. It took me a while to get used to the torquey throttle but after a while I was riding it pretty comfortable. One big thing I did notice, as I was leaning into a curve that the handlebars gave a lot of pressure back on my hands. So say i was turning right.. then the handlebars would want to turn right. Almost as if i had to push back to keep it from turning all the way.

Is this normal? Just wondering... I got used to it as the day went on, but that was a major difference i noticed from my 250. Could be due to the weight difference..

Here is some pics of the bike after the ride.
This is a nice sun glare shot.. lol i thought it kinda looked cool.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Holy huge pictures! Nice looking bike though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
First off, congrats on purchasing a fantastic motorcycle! Bike looks good, I'm sure you'll have many more good days of riding. As for the turning thing, you should already be pushing on the handle bar to the side your turning into, i.e. push right handle to turn right, left to turn left. This is called countersteering, you may already know about it so don't mind me if you do. But if you don't I suggest you read some books on proper riding. My top recommendations would be Total Control by Lee Parks, and Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Both go far more in depth then simply countersteering, anyone can benefit from reading either book, no matter how good a rider you think you are, or how much you think you know.
Best of luck with the new bike, I know you well love it.
Oh by the way what exhaust is that?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol sorry for the huge pictures.

And yeah i know about countersteering.. just seems that the handlebars give me a lot more push back then my 250 did.

And its a Viper exhaust. I love the way it sounds, has a nice deep throaty sound to it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
just seems that the handlebars give me a lot more push back then my 250 did./QUOTE]

It is probably just the difference in size of bikes. Rake and trail also play a big role in a bike's responsiveness.

You could raise your forks 10 mm and reduce the rake and trail to make the steering more quick.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know if this is contributing, but for a lot of riders on a naked SV (myself included) the tendency from the seating position is to lean on the bars with my body weight.

If you keep yourself upright with your body's core, keeping your weight off the bars, you may find the steering easier. You'll also stay comfortable on the bike longer.

Just my experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts