Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey bros, ;D

So here it is. I had my SV stolen about 3 weeks ago. I cried, I raged, I broke stuff. I found another SV that had been dropped and I'm currently fixing her up. I want to see what everyone uses as far as GPS Tracking and whatnot goes.

• Recommendations?
  • What not to get?
  • What to avoid?
  • What do you use?
  • Ever had your bike stolen only to recover her via GPS?
I have a old 2nd-Hand Lojack sitting in my shed....but sadly there are no Dealerships that can re-register my Lojack in the state of Florida. YEA. :mad:

Anyhow, enough of me.
Cheers :eek:ccasion14:

2006 SV650(nude :naughty:)

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Were someone to steal my bike and joyride with it, I'm not sure how I'd feel about getting it back... I have insurance coverage for theft so I think I'd almost rather NOT know where it went and just get my payout....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but if you find out who did it you can potentially sue them for more than an insurance payout. Plus the added joy of getting back at the person who stole your bike.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
True, but if you find out who did it you can potentially sue them for more than an insurance payout. Plus the added joy of getting back at the person who stole your bike.
Sue them for what? It's a criminal matter at that point, and I have insurance to cover me in that situation. I have a feeling that if a person is resorting to stealing a motorcycle, chances are that when you go to sue them, they'll likely not have much you can get out of them anyway. Just seems like a waste of my time to pursue something like that.

·
Greetings Program
6,272 Posts
For deterrent purposes, an alarm might be great, and the GPS would certainly help to possibly catch the crooks, so if that's what is in it for you, I say go for it.

I've been looking at the Scorpio alarm systems, and hear good things about them in my neighborhood. Some nice software available for tracking your own mileage and trips go along with one of the packages.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I saw an ad last year about a tracking device for a motorcycle, that could also send an alert if it detects a crash, not sure where I saw it now, it was in a magazine, but can't find it on Google.
I do have a cheap gorilla alarm, was less than $100, but I never use it anymore. I know the GPS start getting expensive pretty quick, and there are usually monthly fees to go along with them. I have heard of people wiring a cheap cell phone under the dash of a car, and paying to keep it active, as a cheap gps style tracker. Not sure if that could be done to a motorcycle

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I know the GPS start getting expensive pretty quick, and there are usually monthly fees to go along with them. I have heard of people wiring a cheap cell phone under the dash of a car, and paying to keep it active, as a cheap gps style tracker. Not sure if that could be done to a motorcycle
I know they have those gps tags for pets, I suppose you could just get one and put it on the bike....
"Hi, I lost my dog"
"Well, it looks like he's on the highway doing about 60 right now, sir"

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I gave up on that years ago, just collect the check. If you can't and ride the bike regularly you can set up a cheap pre-paid phone with gps and track it with that, check online there's a writeup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Gps tracking system is very expensive and can be removed by anyone that can access it. I agree with them get you bike insured and invest with alarm system that can be annoying and most of all, park it in a very safe place.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I'm glad you know how to get blood out of rocks

a restitution order and actual restitution are not the same thing

I don't get it, the SV is a cheap budget bike, tracking one for theft purposes is like putting a LoJack in a Ford Focus

I saw this thread and thought is was going to be about SPOT or similar tracking program so that loved ones know where you are on a ride or trip

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Just remember, tracking goes both ways. Not saying they are doing it, but a company could track you as you ride, and report any misdeeds to your local Police. I'd rather NOT be tracked as I ride, thank you.

·
Registered
950 Posts
[lQUOTE=Dave Art;3783569]Just remember, tracking goes both ways. Not saying they are doing it, but a company could track you as you ride, and report any misdeeds to your local Police. I'd rather NOT be tracked as I ride, thank you.[/QUOTE]

lol okay... I doubt they are going to waste their time, they aren't cops and it isn't their job so I seriously doubt they care or would bother with that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
lol okay... I doubt they are going to waste their time, they aren't cops and it isn't their job so I seriously doubt they care or would bother with that.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't trust the Government any farther than I can throw it (which isn't very far). As soon as companies find a way to make money at it, you can bet they'll be doing it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Its just an sv i wouldnt waste the money putting an alarm on it. You can find them cheap most anywhere, As for stopping someone from stealing a motorcycle if they want it bad enough there going to get it. I always lock my bars (the locking pin CAN be Broken, know first hand), i keep it in a higher gear when parked and i have a front caliper lock on it.

·
Greetings Program
6,272 Posts
From another forum:

Just wanted to give an update. So i started leaning towards the Gorilla for price, but then read a lot of reviews that complained the alarm did last more than a few months. It really seemed like people either got a great one or a piece of crap, so that one was out. To the Scorpio it was! Not for long though.

Two issues: my bike doesn't have any room under the seat to fit it, so it would have to be hidden in the fairing; not ideal. On top of that, price is in the $400 range for the model that had what I want (motion detector and paging). And that still wouldn't stop or even slow down someone from just tossing it into the back of a truck and driving away with the alarm blaring, so good chains one top of that $400 would put me at almost $600 after taxes.

So after talking with a couple guys up at Del Almo in Redondo Beach that live in "bad neighborhoods" and actually have a serious threat of their bikes being stolen every second of the day, I went this route: 2 Krytonite Hardwire cables, a Xena XX15 disk alarm (has motion detection) with a chain loop attachment and another cable and cover I already had.

I have it all set up like this: the Kryptonite cables attach to each other to make a 12 foot cable and go around the concrete pillar next to my parking spot then through my frame all while being off the ground. My old cable loops through them and my cover and then through my disk lock. So if you touch my Kryptonite cables or lift my cover the alarm triggers. It works pretty good! The alarm is not only extremely loud, but it's a complete different sound than any of the car alarms I hear go off in my structure, so there'll be no mistaking that it's my bike. It's parked about 50 feet from my apartment and I hear it perfectly loud and clear. Unless I'm passed out drunk, I'll hear it in my sleep.

Cost for the two Kryptonite cables and Xena disk alarms, less the $250.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey bros, ;D

So here it is. I had my SV stolen about 3 weeks ago. I cried, I raged, I broke stuff. I found another SV that had been dropped and I'm currently fixing her up. I want to see what everyone uses as far as GPS Tracking in SV and whatnot goes.

• Recommendations?
  • What not to get?
  • What to avoid?
  • What do you use?
  • Ever had your bike stolen only to recover her via GPS?
I have a old 2nd-Hand Lojack sitting in my shed....but sadly there are no Dealerships that can re-register my Lojack in the state of Florida. YEA. :mad:

Anyhow, enough of me.
Cheers :eek:ccasion14:

2006 SV650(nude :naughty:)
I bought spytec and put it on my bike so that I could understand where and when it would go. When I zoomed in, my device was displayed in my building, and I'm continuing to watch now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts