Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No really, it does.

I bought a refurbished Garmin 2720 from Amazon for $107 plus the wiring kit to wire it into my bike's electrical system for another $30. Anyway, I hooked it all up today and went for a ride and I found that my speedo is quite inaccurate. I also found that it was nice to glance down and see what streets were coming up long before I could read the street signs.

I kind of mickey moused a mounting system to my handlebar even though I could probably ride with it like this for many thousands of miles with no trouble.

For anyone who's interested:

77mph=70mph
54mph=50mph

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like you got a heck of a deal, i'm looking at getting a cheap tomtom unit and sticking it in my tank bag, and useing it in my car also. I also want it so i will be able to know my actual speed at a glance instead of trying to remember the reading difference

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I just got my Garmin 2820 but the mounts shipped separate and have not arrived yet. I'm looking forward to using it on the bike, if I could just figure out how to get it to do what I want. :( Me no techo savey.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got my Garmin 2820 but the mounts shipped separate and have not arrived yet. I'm looking forward to using it on the bike, if I could just figure out how to get it to do what I want. :( Me no techo savey.
It really displays quite a bit of useful info right out of the box. The hardest part was hard wiring it into the electrical system of my bike, and really, that wasn't too difficult.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
For anyone on a budget, refurbished Magellan 2200ts are still available for $69. They are waterproof and have an internal battery. They need a software upgrade to be up to date (message me if you have trouble getting the latest) and the maps are a few years old (newer maps are available and add crossover functionality (topo & marine maps) for $79). I got mine from buy.com and a motorcycle mount for $8 off ebay.

I have to say, I prefer the Tom Tom software but at 69 for something motorcycle ready, it's hard to go wrong. I'm actually considering a second one for backup.

I put it on a week ago. I'll take a picture if it stops raining :mad:

Edit: Corrected the brand. Thanks Zach.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
That is a steal at $69 being waterproof and internal battery.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rode to work this morning and hit 99mph on the freeway according to the speedo on my bike but the Garmin confirmed that I was really only going 90.

Right now I have the plate that came with the wiring kit zip tied to my handlebars. I have it sitting right on top of the handle bar mounts with the zip ties going down and around the bar. I put some adhesive backed foam under the mounting plate so that it gives the unit a bit of cushion. It is kind of mickey mouse but it holds the unit securely and it is in a good spot that is easy to see while I'm riding.

We have a machine shop here and one of the guys out there offered to make me a mount for it.

I like this GPS because it has touch screen and you can use it easily with gloves on. You can also see it clearly unless the sun is directly above you. Otherwise it is very easy to see the map.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
hit 99mph on the freeway according to the speedo on my bike but the Garmin confirmed that I was really only going 90.
is that the highest you have had the speedo at with the GPS. just wondering because I hit 125 on the speedo and was wanting to know how fast I was really going

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I got my mounts in but now I'm waiting on my 2820 to show. Seems like we both have a dilemma.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is that the highest you have had the speedo at with the GPS. just wondering because I hit 125 on the speedo and was wanting to know how fast I was really going
So far yes. I've only had it on there for a day now. ;D

Still, figuring about 10% error you were probably only doing 113mph.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
For anyone on a budget, refurbished Garmin 2200ts are still available for $69. They are waterproof and have an internal battery. They need a software upgrade to be up to date (message me if you have trouble getting the latest) and the maps are a few years old (newer maps are available and add crossover functionality (topo & marine maps) for $79). I got mine from buy.com and a motorcycle mount for $8 off ebay.

I have to say, I prefer the Tom Tom software but at 69 for something motorcycle ready, it's hard to go wrong. I'm actually considering a second one for backup.

I put it on a week ago. I'll take a picture if it stops raining :mad:
magellan, not garmin

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
magellan, not garmin
You're correct. I actually only added in the brand as a afterthought (and got it wrong). I'll fix it :)

FWIW, there's also another brand GPS that is a 2200t. Navigon by the looks of it. I know nothing about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts