Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone recommed a decent gps unit that is $200 or less? do I need bluetooth?

thanks guys

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'm assuming motorcycle specific correct? Most of those are in the $500+ range. What kinds of features are you looking for?

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Less than 200 ... go to ebay or look at the pawnshops.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most car units will work but are not waterproof..
Make certain you don't get one with a hard disk, they WILL fail on motorcycle service..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought there were ones like the quest etc that were waterproof..are these no good..sorry I am little clueless with GPS units and there is so much info out there its hard to figure out which is a good unit for me..i just need a unit that is easy to use, waterproof and i can mount to my bike

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
You get what you pay for ... 200 is not enough IMHO.

You don't need bluetooth, it is not stable anyways cause cars using bluetooth cellphone/headsets disrupt coms. :angry4: Gave up on using that.

Vibration is the killer on motorcycle on GPS units. Seen people use freezer ziplocks for rain protection.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

Ebay Garmin Quest

This is the GPS I have on my bike, its water proof, shock/dust resistant it does have turn by turn directions but idk if you can do the blue tooth thing, so no you don't need blue tooth. Its 86$ for a practically new $400 GPS, I have the same one bought from the same seller and have no problems.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I've had the same one for 3 years, mounted with a cradle and clamp from RAM Mounts. It's probably done 5000 mi on the SV as well as a bunch of time on my Kawi where I use it both as a speedometer and to keep from getting too lost. It has survived a bunch of crashes on the kawi including a couple of shots into trees, runs like when it was new even though the case and mount are a little scuffed. My worst rainy day was a 12 hr ride from the VA border to GA that was mostly in rain and some thunderstorms that even dropped a little hail, the Quest was fine.

I recently picked up a Garmin Nuvi 500 because Amazon had a great deal on them (still outside of your range but not by much). I'm going to use the new one on the SV and use the Quest for 100% offroad.

For the price it can't be beat. Get the RAM mount.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i didnt mean bluetooth was a requirement ..i was asking if its necessary.. i dont need all the bells and whistles...i just need something that gives good and easy to read/follow directions..is waterproof for my bike etc

also it would be nice if they are easy and cheap to update (but not necessary)

·
Registered
835 Posts
I currently use my I phone. It works great and I travel the whole state. Refurbished 8GB units are running 100 bones. I found a motorcycle mount (yet to buy) for $85.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts

Ebay Garmin Quest

This is the GPS I have on my bike, its water proof, shock/dust resistant it does have turn by turn directions but idk if you can do the blue tooth thing, so no you don't need blue tooth. Its 86$ for a practically new $400 GPS, I have the same one bought from the same seller and have no problems.
I picked my Quest I up for around $90 reburbished on Amazon. The Quest II you will not have to load maps for detailed info though and the same size.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I have the Garmin Zumo 450, but if I had to do it over again, I'd go for the Lowrance XOG

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I didn't get a ram mount. I used the car cradle it comes with and that black disk. Cut the black disk down to size and stick it to your triple. Then you can wire a 12v accessory into your battery with a switch and you never have to worry about it dying :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I currently use my I phone. It works great and I travel the whole state. Refurbished 8GB units are running 100 bones. I found a motorcycle mount (yet to buy) for $85.
And if you travel places where there aren't cell phone towers or where their signals are overcome by interference (some mountaintops)?

·
Registered
835 Posts
No mountains here and just my .02 / my experience with the gps function.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
I have the Garmin Zumo 450, but if I had to do it over again, I'd go for the Lowrance XOG
I've been using the Zumo450 for a few seasons now and love it (outside of a couple of times where it froze and required removing the battery to reboot it)

What is better about that Lowrance?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts