Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so with the diversity of mounts i have seen and their prices, i cannot decide on one specific one without seeing them personally.

next best thing? what do/have you guys used and how did you like it? please mention specific model if can and perhaps price...

so far i like two... one that mounts to the fork stem and one that mounts to the stock naked mirror mounts.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Im interested in knowing because I was thinking of using zip ties. ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm making my own. I'll a pick up later.

For me, I decided that I wanted to mount it centered on the bar clamps so it wasn't hanging out there.
that is precisely why i am considering the one for the fork stem... here is a link to the mount i like...

http://www.themountdepot.com/RAM_B_342U_p/ram-b-342u.htm

then you just add their cradle

heck they even have some that mount on your reservoir cap if you wanted...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Im interested in knowing because I was thinking of using zip ties. ;)
That's exactly what I did! I had priced out a fancy setup from Ram Mounts, but realized that was almost as much as a new GPS. So, I took my existing mount, grabbed a couple zip ties out of the workbench drawer, and zip-tied it around the handlebars. Works great, and easy to remove when I don't need it!

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Here is my RAM mount setup

I've been pretty happy with it. It holds on to the GPS well and is easily removed if I need to.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just ordered a RAM mount from Amazon along with a Garmin 2720. Remind me in about a week and I will let you know how I like it. I've heard good things, got the recommend from the guys at a KLR forum I visit.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just fabricated a mount that will bolt straight on to the handlebars between the risers. i haven't designed or fabbed a mount for a GPS yet but could be easily done. Mine is a little overkill since it is made out of a 3x2x1.5 block of AL total but looks decent. If you want a pic of it I can take and post it up. Right now it's holding my Monster iEZclick.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Ram mount.... attahed to the clip-on. I think it's a little bulky looking but it works very well.

Harley's OEM mount for the Garmin Quest on the other hand is very clean. I'd like something similar for the SV but I'm too lazy/cheap to bother :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, i was looking at the RAMs and they are gettin good reviews, but has anyone tried their fork stem mount?

·
Registered
299 Posts
***Ghetto Alert***

I mount mine using the windshield suction cup, right over the tach. I don't really need the tach anyway. I just have a wire/string securing it to a bolt on the fairing in case the suction cup fails.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
***Ghetto Alert***

I mount mine using the windshield suction cup, right over the tach. I don't really need the tach anyway. I just have a wire/string securing it to a bolt on the fairing in case the suction cup fails.

LOL. on the wife's (normally aspirated) Mini Cooper, we suction cup it to the useless-for-obvious-reasons 110+MPH area of the dinner-plate-sized speedometer.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
***Ghetto Alert***

Mine is held on with zip ties...it doesn't get much more ghetto than that. ;D

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
RAM mounts on all of the bikes. Not just for GPS but I've got a camera post as well that will fit either a camera or camcorder.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Yet another RAM mount lover here. They're very well made and solid.

·
Registered
40 Posts
next best thing? what do/have you guys used and how did you like it? please mention specific model if can and perhaps price...
I passed on the RAM for my eTrex CX and went with a Garmin mount...$8 from gpscity.com. Mounts on my naked handlebar. Built bracket for cigarette power adapter behind/under headlight so it's wired...no batteries necessary. Good for days of exploring. Remove adapter plug and clean as stock again.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts