Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a bunch of threads on GPS and figured out what I'm looking for and was hoping for a few suggestions. I really just want the GPS to send me home after a long ride, I'm only going to do a minimum of route planning, mostly just ride wherever and need a "safety net" to get me back with minimum hassle. Occasionally I'll take it in the car to give me directions to somewhere. I'm looking to save money so I don't need the latest gadgets (black & white is fine as long as it's readable). And the last req is that it's easily and securely mountable on an 03 SVS. Any suggestions?

Edit: Forgot to add, I don't need any outdoor/marine functions, thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you can get one, the Garmin Quest is going cheap as it's been replaced by the Quest II. Good product, waterproof, gives audible directions and a reasonable size screen.

In the UK they were going for under £200....

·
Registered
142 Posts
My Garmin iQue 3600 is a Palm OS PDA based GSP with integrated antenna. I slide it into the map pocket on top of my tank bag. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have the perfect GPS for you (but you can't have mine ;D ): a Garmin eMap. This is a fantastic little black & white handheld GPS with a larger screen than the current eTrex series. Garmin makes a handlebar mount for (for like $7) that works perfectly on my naked's regular bar (not sure how you'd mount it to an SVS, but I'm sure it's possible somehow). It has a pretty complete set of "base maps" built in - and an expandable memory (comes with 8MB I think) for detail maps (sold seperately). If all you need it for is to get home, the included base maps are all you need. This model was discontinued by Garmin a couple of years ago, but they're still fairly popular. You can still find new ones on eBay - and used ones of course. I got a used one off eBay for $100 over a year ago. Do a search on eBay for "Garmin eMap" and you'll find several of them - and plenty of accessories.

Here's one with some nice accessories included (detail maps, etc): clicky

Here's another: clicky

Here's the bar mount: clicky

Here's a pretty thorough review on it: clicky

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have the Garmin gps 3+,(Black & white) it is attached to the top of the triple tree w/ marine grade velcro, & never moves around on me, once i stick it on!_________5TOEZ__________

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I dunno about a GPS "just to get me back home" what if the batteries were to go dead, would you be lost?

I can see using a GPS as a tool to keep track of ride routes, but I don't see it as a way to find routes, or keep from getting lost, I have heard horror stories of hunters with no sense of direction who relied on GPS, only to get lost even further away from civilization

Basic Geographical Knowlege is your best friend when riding

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm you make a good point - I don't want to be overly reliant on the GPS. I plan on taking a map and compass with me and hopefully I would be able to find my way back if the GPS failed. I usually ride alone (since I haven't met many riders in the area yet) and dislike figuring out routes before leaving, I'd rather ride around then find my way back. Now I just need to choose between an expensive ram-mount or velcro. Where can you find velco with a nice strong sticky backing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts