Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some recent posts asking what GPS to get for the SVS. Here's my budget solution. I did a 460 mile trip last Friday and added enough waypoints to use the GPS. It worked great. This model costs around $120 so it won't download maps. Still it worked great for my purpose.

The GPS showed the speedo was optomistic by around 10%!



It was easy to read over the tank bag. This is the Garmin Fortrex 101.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
would trust the speedo over the 120 bargain gps unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,503 Posts
Not me

Even the cheapest GPS units are far more accurate than vehicle speedometers. The low cost is because of features they don't have. The basic functions they do have are every bit as good as the high priced spread.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
AndrewF said:
would trust the speedo over the 120 bargain gps unit.
I wouldn't, gps units, even the bargain ones are very accurate with regard to speed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,503 Posts
Ideal for bikes

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CS. with a handlebar mount it sits dead center on my handlebars, leaves enough room behind it for easy key access, runs all day on a pair of rechargeable AA batteries and is easy to read. Full mapping, waypoint and routing capabilities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
So the speedo is really off that much?? 10%?? i wonder why?

I have heard the word speedo healer... but i figured that was only for guys running on gixxer font ends.

So the bike speedo is optimistic by 10%??? ..what can be doen to fix it that is easy, RELIABLE, and cheap to do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Re: Ideal for bikes

andyauger said:
I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CS. with a handlebar mount it sits dead center on my handlebars, leaves enough room behind it for easy key access, runs all day on a pair of rechargeable AA batteries and is easy to read. Full mapping, waypoint and routing capabilities.
me too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
705 Posts
Scotch said:
I don't think they're available yet, but this looks like a pretty cool MC solution:
http://www.garmin.com/products/spi2/#

Its on 3"x2.7"x2", with full mapping capability (i get lost in the mountains :oops: )

The color version is like $100 more.
doesn't look like its waterproof tho'....


I like my Quest :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
AndrewF said:
So the speedo is really off that much?? 10%?? i wonder why?

I have heard the word speedo healer... but i figured that was only for guys running on gixxer font ends.

So the bike speedo is optimistic by 10%??? ..what can be doen to fix it that is easy, RELIABLE, and cheap to do?
the speedo is based on the diameter of the front tire, different tires produce different amounts of error, the error also gets to be more as the tire wears

I have found that with 120/70 front instead of a 120/60, the speedo is about dead on.

I have a Sigma Bike speedo that I can calibrate, much cheaper than a GPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
RandyO said:
................................

I have a Sigma Bike speedo that I can calibrate, much cheaper than a GPS.
I already have a GPS for other purposes so it would cost "me" more to buy a speed healer or sigma bike speedo. :wink:
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
AndrewF said:
would trust the speedo over the 120 bargain gps unit.
My SV is also optimistic by about 10% or so. The SV speedo is indicated off the front wheel, which isn't close to be as accurate as GPS are (time/distance).

I've got a Magellan Meridian Gold, I got mine referbished at around $250, several years ago, and it's been very durable after 15k+ miles in varying weather conditions.

I also tried out one of the new Lowrance iFinder Plus gps units, it's got a screen with twice the resolution, the same basic features, a bit more detailed maps, but I ended up liking it, though i couldn't justify investing another $325. It showed the same results as my magellan, with the bikes speedo around 10% high.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
dhuze said:
RandyO said:
................................

I have a Sigma Bike speedo that I can calibrate, much cheaper than a GPS.
I already have a GPS for other purposes so it would cost "me" more to buy a speed healer or sigma bike speedo. :wink:
you right, it's not worth it,
I only pointed out the bike speedo as a inexpensive alternative to a GPS if the speed functions end up being the only feature you use .

I would never get a speedo corection gizmo,

I didn't have need for mapping features of a GPS personally on my SV, I know how to find my way home, I would be more apt to put a GPS on a motard, where I don't care about my speed so much.

the Sigma is great, a speedo that I can calibrate at any time, also has a clock, avg speed, rolling time, top speed since last reset, a couple of trip odo's , pace indicator , etc.

I reset the main odo with each new set of tires, I can use the trip odos for day trips & multi day trips.. make it convenient for me, cause I use my bike for company milage
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
gps units. DO you guys really find the maps useful? Im wondergin if there is a unit with good updated canadian and Usa maps and if it would be worth getting. Do you fellas find them useful, or just fancy gizmos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
AndrewF said:
gps units. DO you guys really find the maps useful? Im wondergin if there is a unit with good updated canadian and Usa maps and if it would be worth getting. Do you fellas find them useful, or just fancy gizmos.
I find it useful when I'm in an area I don't know very well. Then it's easy to spot the main roads on the map, thus avoiding dead ends :wink:
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top