Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo. . . over the weekend i was doing some maintenance on the bike, messing with my adjustable rearset risers (flipped), and spontaneously decided to give gp shifting a shot. rode this morning for the first time, missed one shift (didn't hit it down far enough), but other than that went smooth. i assume because i was super-aware of it on the first day out, maybe after i quit thinking about it i'll screw it up and shift the wrong way.

right now the plan is to leave it gp-style for at least a couple weeks, after that if i hate it i'll change it back. the only real reason for changing it is for making left turns while pulling away from stops. with my lowered rearsets, i couldn't shift until i was through the turn, having to stay in first longer than i really wanted to. i'll update this every so often, maybe you who are thinking about doing this will find it helpfull.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I want to try gp shifting but I would be way to paranoid that I'll downshift into 1st from near redline in 2nd. I'll stick to old school for now.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Soooo. . . over the weekend i was doing some maintenance on the bike, messing with my adjustable rearset risers (flipped), and spontaneously decided to give gp shifting a shot. rode this morning for the first time, missed one shift (didn't hit it down far enough), but other than that went smooth. i assume because i was super-aware of it on the first day out, maybe after i quit thinking about it i'll screw it up and shift the wrong way.

right now the plan is to leave it gp-style for at least a couple weeks, after that if i hate it i'll change it back. the only real reason for changing it is for making left turns while pulling away from stops. with my lowered rearsets, i couldn't shift until i was through the turn, having to stay in first longer than i really wanted to. i'll update this every so often, maybe you who are thinking about doing this will find it helpfull.
I've been wondering why people are switching to GP Shifting, other than it's what the cool kids are doing. So, on an S model, the rear sets are moved back and up like an inch over the naked. So, if you lowered yours, they're like....right where a naked's are, and I have never had any trouble shifting through a left turn from a stop on my naked, nor has any of the other SV riders I know, S or otherwise? So, unless your rearsets are like hanging way down below the bike, I don't see how you could not be able to shift while turning...?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Yeah, I'd be hyper aware for the first few days...then who knows, maybe you'd get comfortable enough so that it's second nature.

·
Registered
149 Posts
On a similar tangent: has anybody thought about implenting a quick shifter into the SV ala Triumph's 2009 Daytona? I always thought this was a great idea (for the track) and was wondering if any track junkies can chime in.

Also, as an impromptu poll, how many SV track riders actually use GP shifting or do you stick to normal, and does it have any real effect?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I've been wondering why people are switching to GP Shifting, other than it's what the cool kids are doing. So, on an S model, the rear sets are moved back and up like an inch over the naked. So, if you lowered yours, they're like....right where a naked's are, and I have never had any trouble shifting through a left turn from a stop on my naked, nor has any of the other SV riders I know, S or otherwise? So, unless your rearsets are like hanging way down below the bike, I don't see how you could not be able to shift while turning...?

that depends on how much your leaning, I switched to gp and discovered that one curve local to me was much more fun, a long left hand sweeper that I enter in 2nd, but before long, the engine revs are puttin to much hp to the rear wheel. with standard shift, still at too much of a lean angle to get my toe under shifter to get 3rd, but I'm also a 300lb lard ass so I settle the suspension abou to the bottom when powering thru that corner

I came to prefer gp shift overall as well

with standard shift, I came close to crashing once making a left as I was pulling away from a stop, I had my toe under the shifter to get second, but before I could shift, my toe touched down when it was under the shifter and popped it into neutral at full lean with only 10 feet of momentum from a stop

·
Registered
542 Posts
So the benifit is being able to shift gears while in a left hand turn at full lean. I have considered going gp myself and feel that would be the only reason other than to be different. Am I right? Any racers out there have any thoughts? If it is beneficial to do so on a race track due to left hand cornering clearence I may do it since I want to start running trackdays this year and have a race only sv lined up (maybe).

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The benefit is track based...being able to be leaned over in a left turn, and grab the next gear, while accelerating, with out having to try and get your toe under the shifter, and/or unsettle the bike.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Are you a racer? If so would you say in the position im in with wanting to get into amatuer racing it would be worth while to learn?

Jason

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Are you a racer? If so would you say in the position im in with wanting to get into amatuer racing it would be worth while to learn?

Jason
I am not a racer.....just a has been track day guy. Certain tracks, have turns where its helpful..like Summit Main...turn 3 IIRC.

Its all a matter of personal preference and its not needed for racing. Some GP/WSB racers still use standard shift.

Go with what ever feel better with.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

not sure about you and your friends bikes, but even before i ever lowered the pegs, i'd occasionally drag foot while shifting while turning left. after i lowered the pegs, i didn't bother trying.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've had GP for about a year now, and it does become second nature. However, every once in a while I have a momentary relapse. I still ride dirt bikes and other bikes with standard, and don't have a problem going between them.

I like it because I feel more comfortable stomping down on the shifter when accelerating (sans clutch), and I miss less shifts this way. It's certainly a preference thing, but I have come to like the GP setup.

My buddy has a 1964 Triumph Bonneville, which has the reverse shift pattern on the RIGHT foot, with the rear brake on the left. That messes with my head for the first few miles...

·
Registered
828 Posts
i use gp shifting. i do some trackdays. when i first started track days i was using normal shifting and found one or two curves very difficult due to shifting. having to hook my foot under the shifter unsettled the bike some and had me move my body position too much while leaned over. went to gp shift and all those issues went away. its actually much easier to shift up gears pushing down on the lever. the only time you downshift gear (pulling up on the lever) is while braking, when your upright. it is personal preference.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts