Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a camera mount (mounts on gas tank) and was really excited to go try it out.

I went down one of my favorite windy roads... it was a great ride... I was going a little faster than I normally do, but not much (gotta show off for the camera, right?)

Anways... suddenly I hear those wonderful sirens behind me. I pulled over... then thought to myself, "This isn't going to look good with my camera mounted on here!" I quickly turned the camera off (should have left it rolling to record the encounter.... oh well).

He came over to my bike and I asked me is there any reason I was going 60mph in a 30mph zone?

I told him I didn't realize I was going that fast. Then he noticed my camera. WHAT is that for... to post some crazy video of you on youtube? I told him I just made the camera mount and was testing it out, but I was not indending to speed. He said.... SHOULD we look at your camera??? I just gave him a blank stare and told him again I was not trying to speed... He didn't press any further about the camera.

I was polite the whole time... Yes sir... I am very sorry... it will never happen again.

LUCKILY he let me off the hook. I thought I was screwed for going 30mph over. He said he is a rider as well (or used to be) and he also commented that I was wearing full gear and appreciated that.

He told me to be safe and don't become a statistic.

The road is a long windy road with not too many cars on it... reason it is slower speed limit is because of the long driveways that come off of it.

I definately received a lot of grace... he could have given me a big ticket!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
lucky. I never get out of any tickets...

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
wow that's huge. One of the lucky ones! If you look at Nox's avatar......that's the money you could've saved with Geico. :D

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I got stopped once with my camera fitted, the cop said something along the lines of "Going to video yourself riding dangerously fast are we sir?" and before I could censor myself I just sort of ejaculated "Nossir! Going to video other people riding dangerously fast". Luckily he just about wet himself laughing instead of getting annoyed ;D

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thing about on board bike cams is that sometimes the riders like to tape their high speeds.
So try and point your camera above the speedo. No proof there..

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Or somewhere else entirely... Mine goes on a boom out to the right of the bike (actually an old bicycle stem, stuck into my motoslider) which has a few bonuses... Excellent field of vision, no speed indication, but also having the camera low and wide really exagerrates the feeling of speed and cornering. But it does mean that if I fall off to the right I'll annihilate the camera, and I imagine tear off the bung as well. So I try not to ;D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thing about on board bike cams is that sometimes the riders like to tape their high speeds.
So try and point your camera above the speedo. No proof there..
It was not intensional, but the angle of my mount does not show the speedo. I think I will keep it that way.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Why is the video in sepia (I think that's what it is called)? That road looks a little too residential for any serious flogging for me. I'm no speed nazi, but in school zones and residential areas, I like to take it slow. Glad you got away with it.

I was going to call BS on you saying you were riding a windy road in Florida, but I guess there actually is one (sort of) in that state.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 28 Posts