Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That they're illegal? How would I go about finding out if they're illegal or not. I figure you guys would know more.

This is an album of my lights.

http://imgur.com/a/Vo8eq

Pic 4 is low beam, Pic 5 is high beam.

Is both the low and high illegal, is neither illegal? What's the deal. I bought the bulbs in a local shop so I kinda just assumed they were fine.

My first bike and I'm still new to the whole biking thing, so I just want to know what to do.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Legality depends where you live.

But with your current setup, the glare will be **** for oncoming traffic. A proper retrofit will yield better usable light and won't blind everyone.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Meh. Glare is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Just aim them very very low.

They're probably illegal, but most cops aren't gonna pull you over for it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
In most places, HIDs are illegal unless factory-installed. This is due to asshats putting them into stock reflector housings without cutoffs and blinding the **** out of everyone else.

Get projectors and properly aim them. 4+ years of properly installed illegal HIDs in my car, and I've never been pulled over. They give the officer probable cause though...

To really stay out of trouble, stay in the 4300-6000k range as amber-white is acceptable for headlights. Blue is illegal as it is a police color.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are those real xenon lamps or just tinted halogen? They don't seem too bright (granted it is a daylight pic). Also, HIDs aren't always optimal for brights due to the warm-up time.

A true HID kit typically includes ballast, bulb, and a relay of some sort.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Does it matter if they're illegal? Every other car seems to be driving around with welding torches in their light housings, and no one gives a damn. I try to avoid riding/driving at night for this reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts