Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for over 3 years and I have always rode within my limits and the laws on the road. I try to always go the speed limit "not going to lie some times I exceed it" but never in places such as residential, school zones, or blind roads. the one time I slip up I get a ticket...
so here it is I'm in a neighborhood going about 34 mph, and I see three harleys up ahead on the left and some dude walking in the road...... Then it hits me its a sheriff fffu&&^*k.....
I then see the speed sign "speed limit 25" (no it was not a school zone) I look down I'm at 34 and the sheriff is pointing for me to pull over..... " you in a hurry or something???" NOPE JUST DIDN'T RELIZE THE SPEED LIMIT WAS 25... I mean really!!! Like I'm in this neighborhood every day,, in normal neighborhoods its 30 it doesnt really matter I was speeding it still sucks though

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
They just put a new 25mph. sign,near a park i ride by. Crossing the street and looking the other way,is a sign that says slow to 40mph for corner. Sooooo....25mph in only one direction ?

·
Registered
794 Posts
With the economy in the sh*tter and local governments running low on funds, it's up to the boys and girls in blue to bring in the green.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I got popped once in a residential while in my cahh. Piggie was just parked in an unmarked car, had a laser in his back window. I wasn't even going over 35 mph, but apparently that was too fast. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
.. you got pulled over by a sheriff on foot? i'm confused, if he was on foot, how would he possibly know how fast you were going or if you were even speeding at all?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Even without a radar gun, they're trained to know what 25, 35, 45, etc look like.
I don't know how they could make that stick.... you could fight the he|| out of that one

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't know how they could make that stick.... you could fight the he|| out of that one
You can fight it, but the chances of winning are slim. It's been brought up many times and many people have been found guilty. I'd fight it for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Next thing you know, they will be changing the 25mph signs in for 10 mph signs... just because they know that they can get more money out of the deal!

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can fight it, but the chances of winning are slim. It's been brought up many times and many people have been found guilty. I'd fight it for sure.
even if cops are trained to know the difference, where's their proof? it's basically their word vs your's. we need to keep in mind that cops can make any amount of claims against you, it's not their job to really prove it, but rather your's to go to court and disprove it. this is why you don't sit there and argue with a cop about how you weren't speeding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
even if cops are trained to know the difference, where's their proof? it's basically their word vs your's. we need to keep in mind that cops can make any amount of claims against you, it's not their job to really prove it, but rather your's to go to court and disprove it. this is why you don't sit there and argue with a cop about how you weren't speeding.
I think the biggest part we are missing here is... he was speeding... going 34 in a 25. So, I guess that the cop did have a good idea of how to tell speed, even if he didn't have a radar gun! So, basically the best bet is to go to court, hoping the judge will believe your story. Wear something nice!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I see three harleys up ahead on the left and some dude walking in the road...... Then it hits me its a sheriff fffu&&^*k..
I'm pretty sure If I was on my bike going any speed, I would not stop for somone on foot, or on a bicycle.

If he wasn't in his car, how did he know how fast you were going? You should've said you were going 26 MPH because if he didn't have a radar than its all speculation anyways. Plus if your speedo read 34 it really ment you were doing 30 unless its speed-o-healed.

Next thing you know, they will be changing the 25mph signs in for 10 mph signs... just because they know that they can get more money out of the deal!
I had this happen to me once when I was in my car. I was in an area that I was fairly familiar with doing the speed limit (I thought) and got poped. I was doing 55 in a recently "adjusted" area that was 45.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A ticket for 9 over isn't that big a deal, but I'd still dress up nice and go to court. And don't tell them your name is "Budman!" ;) The cop may have other things to do that day and not show and then it's your word against nobody, dismissed! I wouldn't tell the judge you weren't aware of the speed limit (ignorance is no excuse) because that basically sounds like a confession that you know you were speeding. I'd just tell the judge I couldn't be certain of my exact speed but don't think it was very fast, because I was concentrating on looking up for possible obstructions or pedestrians or vehicles that might be a threat to me on my motorcycle. I'd point to my long, safe, driving record and tell the judge that while I couldn't put an exact number on my speed when the cop first saw me, I was driving safely and prudently like I always do. Be polite to the judge and the cop and don't be argumentative if the cop disputes your story. Say it once when the judge directs you to talk, and then shut up and stand there quietly and respectfully.

I had almost the same thing happen in my car when I was a teenager, only the cop had me on radar doing 35 in a 25 zone. I went to court just to see what it was like and while waiting for my turn, a minor drug dealer was led by his lawyer up to confer with the judge and suddenly BAMM, "$5000 fine and 2 years in jail" and then it was my turn so I was understandably a little nervous as I approached the bench!:eek: The judge looked at my ticket and asked what I was doing there for such a small thing and I was all ready to launch into telling him I wasn't speeding but thought better of it, and as I paused he said "you just want to lose less points off your license, right?" I said, umm yes and BAMM I lost only one point instead of two and I was outa there!:) It was a good experience to see firsthand how it works and even though I still had to pay the small fine, I did get one less point off my license which helped my insurance rates at that age.

Good luck!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Not here in jersey but i'm real near ny state and the roads are a bit quieter over there but they have school zones that are 15mph that's right 10 + 5 mph ! ever try to really go 15 mph? these are semi countryish residential roads,never been caught yet they don't seem to really speed trap them, but if their federal or state funding drys up they could go there, it would be like a money tree. The 25 mph speed limit is a throw back to the old days where more people walked and cars where huge and heavy and had drum brakes.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Actually, the burden of proof IS on the shoulders of the officer.

Remember, innocent untill PROVEN guilty.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Actually, the burden of proof IS on the shoulders of the officer.

Remember, innocent untill PROVEN guilty.
the officer is specifically trained in this, and can do it consistently with very small margin of error. It's been proven over and over. That's why "their word" holds up in court.

I'm not saying I like it, or agree with it, but it's an accurate way to guage speed, and traffic officers are VERY good at it. it isn't just some "guess"

·
Registered
717 Posts
Cops have been writing speeding tickets longer than there have been radar guns. Estimates of speed by an officer do hold up in court. Going to court may get it dismissed/reduced to probation since it was minor. I'd say it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got pulled over by a cop running into the road once. Gave me a reckless ticket - 70 in a 35. Went to court (had to) and it got reduced. Told the judge "the cop ran out into the road and I pulled over without even squealing my tires, so I wasn't driving recklessly, I was just driving fast". After "order in the court!" (really, not kidding...everyone thought pleading not guilty was hilarious) the judge said "well, i guess you are right. improper driving, $50 plus court costs...and SLOW DOWN!".

Also, in VA, if you have good driving record, you get one get out of jail free card where you can go to class and get a ticket dropped. Did that once too. Not sure where you are, or if there is a similar thing...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts