Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
500cc, 2 cylinder Yanmar Diesel. Makes a wapping 15hp and probably weighs 200lbs. For the immediate future it's getting mounted to a stand to display Diesel and BioDiesel technology to area schools... after that, who knows? I was thinking maye mating it up to a 250cc scooter CVT :)

In it's former life, it ran a refridgeration unit on a tractor trailler.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Cool!

I'd like to have one of these to play around with....hand crank start and all.

I'd run it with fryer oil from Mom's Drive Inn and enjoy the "eau de onion rings" aroma wafting through the garage.

But I won't inhale....I promise.:evil6:

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool!

I'd like to have one of these to play around with....hand crank start and all.

I'd run it with fryer oil from Mom's Drive Inn and enjoy the "eau de onion rings" aroma wafting through the garage.

But I won't inhale....I promise.:evil6:
The lister's have a great reputation in the Bio world. They're apparently pretty simple and rugged machines. I would had been happy if I found one but this engine was only a "few hours" away and I got it for a rediculously cheap $150. Yanmar are very good engines so this was a smokin' deal.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah, the Listers and the Lister clones are simple, reliable, and very economical....the only down sides are the weight and cost. Their heft makes them pretty impractical for applications other than stuff like stationary generators or pumps. I like 'em because I'm fascinated by hands-on "old school" type stuff. Get a set of big flywheels spinning, and watch what can be done with *only* six horsepower.;)

If you really want to make a diesel scooter with the Yanmar, read some of the threads over here:

http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

The majority of the projects are using hydrostatic transmissions instead of mechanical CVTs, but there's lots of cool stuff to see....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.