Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Congrats...nice looking bike! Use your legs to grip the tank. This will take the stress off your wrists. You want to keep your hands and arms loose.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just got my new 09 SV650SF st thursday on Apr 2. Any advice on getting the bike dropped?
Contrats on your new ride! It looks nice.

You can drop the front forks and inch easy just by loosening the triple tree and moving it down. No parts required.
You can buy dogbones (lowering links) to lower the rear 2". (You can go lower, but I wouldn't). $50?
I'm 5'4" and flatfoot an 04 SV650 Naked model with a 1" front drop + 2" rear drop modification.

The FIRST mod you should make is MotoSliders. They will save you a$$ at some point. It's cheap insurance. Funny thing, my bike fell off it's kickstand 2 days after I installed the Motosliders. Just a small bur on the slider but my tank, handlebars, and radiator were spared.

There are lots of posts on here about lowering.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think you should put some more miles on the bike before you invest in dropping it. I am also a shorter guy (5'6, 30 inch inseam) and have alwayas had to tiptoe my bikes. You get used to it and I have never dropped my bike because of this. Also, Oneida Suzuki sells an OEM low seat, which is not as wide and about 1/3 of an inch lower than the stock seat. I have this seat on my sv and it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
MOTOSLIDERS!!!
cannot be stressed enough!!

and drop the forks an inch(not moree than an inch) in the tripples. Its free and it may solve the hieght issue. You could also soften the rear preload a click or two so when you are sitting on the bike it rides a lil lower.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Motosliders then do the R6 tube mod. The R6 tube will put less stress on your wrist because of the shorter throw.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I wouldn't raise the forks in the triples (effectively lowering the front end) without lowering the rear. Your turn-in would be affected and might make the bike unstable at higher speeds and mid-corner. Truthfully, I wouldn't lower anything - except maybe the seat. I have a 29" inseam and get around just fine on my factory-height SV.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I'm 5'7 and I got an '03 (supposed to be higher than any other model) and I'm doing just fine. I tiptoe and don't have any problems at all...You just need to get used to it.

But if you feel more safe/comfortable then go ahead...Nice color

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wouldn't raise the forks in the triples (effectively lowering the front end) without lowering the rear. Your turn-in would be affected and might make the bike unstable at higher speeds and mid-corner. Truthfully, I wouldn't lower anything - except maybe the seat. I have a 29" inseam and get around just fine on my factory-height SV.
Word, shave down your seat if you need to.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Rotate the clutch lever and brake lever down to a comfortable position. You should be able to reach both without bending your wrist up. Stock position is usually bad and you have to rotate your wrist to make the reach. This could be contributing to your wrist problems.

Get some TechSpec tank pads or something of the sort. You'll find it a lot easier to maintain position on the bike.

Nice bike - enjoy!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts