Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went out for a ride to Gatineau Park (I nice Federal park near Ottawa, popular for biking) after I finished my oil change (bike never felt smoother) and I got hit by a deer. I'll let my crappy ms paint skills do the talking:

As you can see, the stupid deer (it was a female, so not as big...but just as stupid) was standing in the middle of my lane and then decided it would be a smart idea to run into me.

Needless to say, it fled the scene of the crime before the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) came.

The good news is I got off the easiest......flew clean off the bike, landed on grass, did a tuck and roll, and ended up in the bushes in the ditch. I'm wearing the same jeans to work today and they aren't even scuffed.

The bad news is my bike didn't come out so well. Looks like: bent rad, busted upper fairing and headlight assembly, broken mirrors, broken shift lever, dented tank, bent frame slider, bent subframe.

Thanks to a fellow SVer (not sure if he's on this board) for lifting my bike up and trying to get it started while I was on the phone getting a tow.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Dude, that is some awesome paint skills.

Did ya have insurance coverage for deer? Don't know how Canadians do it but here in the U.S. if you have comprehensive insurance, deer is covered.

How about some real pics though...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
wow - those are some awesome diagrams. it feels like i practically witnessed the accident first hand!

sorry about the deer. too bad you didn't walk away with some venison. good luck getting that bike back together

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry about your bike and the accident, but those pictures were great. Talk about recreating the crime scene! ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
evilbologna said:
Did ya have insurance coverage for deer? Don't know how Canadians do it but here in the U.S. if you have comprehensive insurance, deer is covered.
Nope, no coverage for the deer.....I don't have collision or comprehensive insurance, only general liability and fire and theft.......hmmm, anyone wanna steal me bike? haha

How about some real pics though...
I didn't have a camera with me, and my bike is at a shop getting an estimate. Maybe next week.....but it doesn't look very nice :'(

·
Registered
72 Posts
I never seen such rocking MSPaint skillz.

I was recently in simlar type of accident except instead of a deer it was a stupid delivery guy in a Toyota.

Got out of it unscaved and no scuffs on my jeans I was wearing. It sounds like you have more damage than mine and they wrote my bike off. They wanted $7300 for just parts, that was before labour. This is McBride in Toronto. My jaw hit the ground when I heard the price.

Good luck. I would start sleeping with someone who works at Suzuki if you can.

·
Registered
73 Posts
haha those diagrams are great! i'm motivated to open up mspaint... but sorry about the bike... how fast were you going? In my MSF course, they told us to slow down to walking speed when encountering a deer or other heard animals.

·
Registered
397 Posts
ouch....thats gotta sukkk like I said, we should all get those deer whistles that scares away deers on our bikes. I love your drawing though. Heal up and Repair up!!! Get ur ass back on two wheels!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imdbui said:
haha those diagrams are great! i'm motivated to open up mspaint... but sorry about the bike... how fast were you going? In my MSF course, they told us to slow down to walking speed when encountering a deer or other heard animals.
About 50-60 km/h

Weird, they never mentioned animals at all at my MSF course.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Kevbo said:
About 50-60 km/h

Weird, they never mentioned animals at all at my MSF course.
it might be b/c i'm in oregon.. and theres alot here. They also mentioned when theres a dog... you have to slow down... then as you near the dog... speed off... so to throw off the dog so it couldnt chase you. And for squirrels and small animals.. to surrmount it... jus slow down and right before your about to hit... open throttle to lift the front wheel and up and over ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
imdbui said:
it might be b/c i'm in oregon.. and theres alot here. They also mentioned when theres a dog... you have to slow down... then as you near the dog... speed off... so to throw off the dog so it couldnt chase you. And for squirrels and small animals.. to surrmount it... jus slow down and right before your about to hit... open throttle to lift the front wheel and up and over ;)
Yup yup... all what I learned... roll over it if it is smaller than a loaf of bread...I found that one a bit disturbing.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
It's too bad about the bike, but just be glad that you are OK.

Deer are killers and Bambi was just a mass murderer in the making.

I live in northwestern Pennsylvania and deer are high on my list of fears. Not long ago I posted a suggestion that we all take up eating venison for reasons of preventative medicine. I guess up in your area your best hope is expansion of the Algonquin wolf packs.

Deer whistles are of questinable value. A number of years ago the PSP tried them, and they made no difference.

Again, glad you are OK and hope you get the bike fixed soon.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
If that doesn't prove that "a picture is worth a thousand words", I don't know what does. You could have just posted your art work and said nothing and we all would have known precisely what happened. :eek: Good luck and get those new parts and bolt them on there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts