Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woo finally found a CB like I've been looking for. Gonna build a cafe racer, none of my friends like them but I do and I know several people on here have them so I thought I'd share. I was thinking kind of an old school white almost like a cream with a red stripe and black numbers down the side but IDK I kind of like it black too. I picked it up for 100 bucks title and all its a little rusted but in way better shape than I thought it would be. The caliper is stuck and the carbs need cleaning and it needs a throttle cable and the inside of the tank cleaned and coated but other than that its good... its got good compression and the tires were even still full of air after sitting for 15 years. Any suggestions or things to check?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
360. I'd never part it out I've been looking for one for FOREVER.

·
Registered
835 Posts
ooppss. seen ya already answered. keep it !! That was my first street bike . Never had any probs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just like the 360 its my first bike titled in just my name so I wanted a smaller one but I new a guy that never had much luck with his 350. Plus I think 4 cylinders is over kill for that small of a bike.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's bacially just 350 in an inline twin.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The frame was different on the 360. Pod air filters may be a little more difficult to fit. Plan on replacing the rear shocks. While you're at it, check the swingarm bushings for play, it can cause noticable handling issues on these bikes. Tire choices are a little slim for those rim sizes. My sons CL360 is running Chen Shin Hi-Max which seem ok. While you're sorting out the brakes, change out the ancient brake fluid and inspect the line for cracking. New oem's are still available (as well as lots of other part$).

The owners manual covers most of the maintenance these bikes will ever require. Don't know why but these motors run better with a strong battery and hi test fuel. The condenser degrades with age so it may also need replaced. The oem is a dual unit and costs around $30 but it could probably be replaced with separate condensers from your local auto parts store. You may be able to get away with just removing the rust from the tank interior. Details here. More than likely you'll need to remove/disassemble/clean the carbs. Carb gasket kits(bowl gasket and a few o-rings) are around $15 per carb. Pray the float needles and seats are ok because they are even more. Treat the diaphragm/slide assemblies with great care, if I remember correctly they are over $100 each. Valve tappet and ignition timing adjustment require the removal of the round cover on the left side of the engine. Do this on the centerstand or you'll experience a mini Exxon Valdez incident.

Have fun.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info. It's a me and my dad project so he knows all about cleaning that tank and carbs and stuff. Rear springs and shocks are pretty much shot but the forks are great the gauges still work and haven't even frosted over. I'm just amazed at the condition it's in, the guy before me ran straight pipes on it so I think he got new jets and needles so they should be realitavely new (15 years) it's always been garaged and the guy was an artist to he took great care of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts